Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .41 Rimfire

.41 Rimfire

Hi

I am looking for some onfo on the .41 Long rimfire (not the Colt lightning one) and wondered if anyone could point me to a source please?

I believe it was an upgraded .41 short to give it a bit more umph?

cheers

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    You might want to check on one of the US Cowboy shooting forums, like CAS City.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Datig

According to Datig.
    .41 Long Rimfire;
    Bullet diameter = .402"
    Case diameter = .407
    Rim diameter = .468
    Case length = .634
    Bullt weight = 163 gns
    Longer version of .41 Rimfire Derringer cartridge. Popular in pistols and a few rifles from c1870 to 1910.

Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    According to Datig.
    .41 Long Rimfire;
    Bullet diameter = .402"
    Case diameter = .407
    Rim diameter = .468
    Case length = .634
    Bullt weight = 163 gns
    Longer version of .41 Rimfire Derringer cartridge. Popular in pistols and a few rifles from c1870 to 1910.

Any help?
    Just spotted this ... thanks

I actually have a Colt derringer in .41 rimfire. Its the one with the barrel that twists sideways to load and unload. I don't know how powerful the .41 rimfire is/was but I don't think I'd be very confident to fire it even if ammo were available.

A collector, are you, Napoleon?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Not in a big way Jim. Apart from the Colt derringer, I have a huge flintlock pistol that I think they called an 1802 Land Pattern. It must be about .65 in calibre. I also have a beautiful matched pair of flintlock 'muff' pistols made by the esteemed London gunmaker Wodgon. They have turn off barrels of about .50 in calibre and are very nicely engraved. I would really like a genuine percussion revolver but don't have one yet. A few years ago I was at Bisley and there was a perfect Rogers and Spencer for £950. I ummed and aahed and then turned it down. An hour later I decided I would have it after all and went back and it had been sold. I would have liked that because it was virtually unmarked and would have gone with my Euroarms version that I had at the time. One of my patients knowing my interest in all things BP offered me his great great uncles Adams revolver which I don't think had ever been fired. He wanted £2000 which was a lot of money at the time and I have too many expensive hobbies but it was probably worth it because it was like new.

Off to shoot pheasants tomorrow. Its bloody freezing here so I hope they fly well.

Not a big collection, but a few nice specimens there, Napoleon.

I'm starting to get interested in BP cartridge revolvers myself: don't know much about them, nor have much money to spend on them, though.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 02-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.

The only BP cartridge revolvers we are allowed to own in Britain are ones for obsolete calibres and of course you aren't allowed to fire them. I would quite like a break action S & W in 44 Russian or similar after reading Walter Winans book "The Art of Revolver Shooting". This is full of late Victorian/Early Edwardian Gems. Well worth seeking out a copy.

I just ordered a BOOK (not the gun) on pinfire revolvers.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I just ordered a BOOK (not the gun) on pinfire revolvers.

Jim
    Let us know how you get on with the book Jim. I seem to remember there was an article on pinfire guns in Gun Digest years ago but I can't find it and my collection stops at '96

Will do, Napoleon. Actually I just mailed my check this morning, so I don't expect to receive the book for a few weeks.

Jim

hi, i have three .41 rimfires, a colt .41short no3 deringer ,a remington .41short o/u deringer and a ivor johnson favorite no 4 six shot single action revolver chambered in .41 long which i believe was made in the 1870,s.i have several inert .41 short rounds but have never seen a .41 long .dixie gun works in the states used to sell reloadable brass in .41short which had an offset hole machined in the case head which used a.22 blank as a primer ..good luck with your research ..greasemonkey

Thanks, Greasemonkey! Sounds as though you have a nice little .41 collection there!

Jim

thanks jim , the little colt is my favorite, as i am sure napoleon will agree with me,they are purely functional but superbly made.strangely it has london proof marks meaning it was retailed in the UK.sadly i bought it from a gun fair and the seller had no history on it,if only it could talk!cheers greasemonkey