Thread: how to make wooden pistol grips

how to make wooden pistol grips

have any of you got any tips to making pistol grips for a crosman c40 as im jut in the process of buying one, i am good with a dremel if that makes a difference,

atb
    jordan
    QB78 IN TUNING PROCESS
    SMK XS12...FOR SALE £45 POSTED

Jordan,

I start by carving out a complete rough sized grip to suit your hand size & shape, bit like this baikal 53m I'm doing at the moment.
    http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s...9/DSC00191.jpg

Then I inlet it so the frame can go into it.

like this EB22
    http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s...99/pics082.jpg

Or split it in half, chopping out a section the same width as the frame, then you've got the right and left sides to fix each side, giving the best fit.

like this R77-4
    http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s...99/pics175.jpg

I've got small hands. (not a word you lot......) so I have to get mine as close to the frame as possible.

I use a rasp file to rough out, then a half round ########## file to get near, then emery paper.

hope this helps.

Russ
    Last edited by Firestorm; 24-09-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

thanks a bunch, will have a go when i get my pistol, i bought it from regsmonster. cant wait
    QB78 IN TUNING PROCESS
    SMK XS12...FOR SALE £45 POSTED

Wink

ive made many grips from wood,,,all i have is a dremmel and a hacksaw,,,have a go,,,,take your time and you will prevail,

Carving grips

This is an addictive hobby, I have made dozens of pairs of grips now for many pistols. When I started I used knives and chisels but modern technology has prevailed and I now use a mains, variable speed, Dremel with the sanding drums. They eat through even old, well seasoned walnut.
    I still find an electric drill and some small, very sharp, chisels are the best for inletting for the pistol frame, the lower speed does not burnt the wood as much as the Dremel.
    Words of warning:
    Use a facemask if you: a) do lots of this. b) use plywood as the glue can be risky.
    DON'T use Tanalised wood (decking wood) - it's treated with very toxic chemicals.
    Wear eye protection.
    Dont buy the B&Q own-brand sanding drums, the glue melts when they get hot and the abrasive band unwinds explosively.
    Think twice - cut once, its easy to take wood off and difficult to put it back (but Ronseal wood in a tube is great for life's little mistakes).
    Have fun and, if all else fails, you can start again.