Thread: Anybody own Twinmaster Match/Sport AND Top?

Anybody own Twinmaster Match/Sport AND Top?

My Top front sight is too short to be "on" with any of the match pellets I use @10m. Since rear sight has limited travel, I would like a taller front sight. I've been using something I cobbled together for several months, but would prefer something that looks a little nicer. The front sight unit of the Match/Sport looks taller...2mm more would be nice for me. If you have these pistols, is the Sport/Match front sight in fact taller, and is there any reason I couldn't replace the Top front sight unit with one from the Sport or Match? Thanks.

Am I the only one who found this with the Top front sight? I use regular pistol match type pellets: JSB/H&N/RWS. Best I could get is 1" high at 10m with the heavier pellets, bench test. Gun was purchased new, everything looks square and properly assembled...

Hi,
    Sorry i am not much help i am afraid, but i do have a TOP and have no problem with mine.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

I had asked around before, and I think I'm the only one with the Top sight "problem". Strange...obviously they didn't design it that way...but I can't see anything else that may be wrong...will look more carefully. The Top has about 2k pellets through it and has always been this way. Maybe someone with more Twinmaster experience can suggest something else...

One thing I've noticed: there are a few differences in my Top and some others I've seen and pictures. Most are minor, like the colour of various parts (the reg, the main body). But my front sight is levelled off at the rear, it is not "pointed"/triangular like I see in pics of the Top in the manual and on dealer websites, similar to the pointed Match/Sport sights. I am wondering if that flattening shaved off the mm or two sight height that I need. I got the Top early this year.

[Ah, I see you like the HW45s. Me too, the pistols I shoot the most. Have a Silver Star and 2 others, one also fairly newish and another maybe 20 years old.]

Are you aiming dead on, or are you using a sub-6 hold ?

Here's a typical example of what I mean, with the front sight in its stock form and the rear sight at its lowest elevation: If I position the front sight blade level with the bottom of the 7 ring (the black part, LOL), the pellet will hit at the TOP of the 5 ring, pretty much on the 4/5 border.

Hi
    My front sight does not go to a point either.
    When i shoot i use bisley 1 on the front 5 on the back targets, and aim at the bottom of the black 7 ring on the target. which is 30mm from the center. I have never had this problem, although i am a pretty poor shot, on average i will put 5 out of the 8 shots in the black at ten meters.

I have 2 silverstars .177, one with red dot, i love them.
    The pistol i use most at the moment is my model 10, it is old and showing signs of corrosion (was like that when i bought it) but it is soooo smooth.

Regards chip
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Any hints on how I *should* be aiming the Top, or how the sights should be set up? Using an ISSF pistol target as a ref, say. Thanks.

It has been kind of discouraging. The gun is well-made IMO, with high quality parts, and functions well within spec (except for the high shooting!), everything smooth. IMO the velocity is too low though (but exactly on spec) for clean paper punches, but I have just got some "official" ISSF targets today and will see how that paper works out.

I don't know if this could point to some problem, but contrary to what I've read, my Top has slightly higher velocities and is more consistent (with single action trigger) when using the mags, as compared to with the single-shot adapter.

My Match front sight is approx 8mm from root to tip

Hope that helps

If I could figure out how to attach a pic on here I would post a pic of it

Phil

I am just now going down to the "range" to try out new targets, new pellets, and a new front sight I made. Will measure my stock front sight height.

Since my previous post, I have been checking around some of the international "Olympic AP" forums. I am not the only one complaining about the current Top models not being able to shoot low enough with the stock sights maxed (minned??) out. Nor the only one complaining about tearing some types of targets (NRA ones are common here, what I had been using, but they don't use "proper" airgun target paper, so it's said).

For some reason my older posts to this forum have been "lost". Anyway, in one of them I explained how the currently-shipping Top regulators are not the same as they once were. They are not adjustable to achieve significantly higher (i.e. normal match AP) velocities by the regular "secret" and easy methods. In fact, they are pretty well peaked from the factory. The regs are smaller inside than they used to be. There is some difference between the current Top and Sport/Match regulators, and they do have different part numbers (though it hardly matters, as Rohm parts are hen's teeth over here). For some lousy reason Rohm decided to make the current Top models just barely usable for their designed purpose: paper punching. The Trainer/Sport/Match do a much better job, and perhaps the Top does too with CO2.

Enough of my grousing...time to go shred some paper and see if I can make it better.

Edit: Target problem solved, "official" targets give brilliant holes. New pellets (H&N Match 4.49, somewhat smaller than I'd been using) perform above my expectations. Consistency excellent. All shooting was done with the mags, since I had found it not worse than the single loader, least for me.

Stock front sight is 5mm above the flat base, 8mm above the "compensator" round. I was shooting with my replacement sight: 6.5mm above the base.
    Last edited by cfraser; 05-10-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: update