I shot competition .22 and .303 at school, but that was 30 years ago. Recently, the old shoot-lust returned, and in a short space of time, I'd bought a TX200 MkIII with a Nikko Stirling Platiinum Nighteater 8-32x44.

I'm certainly happy with the kit (although my left arm aches abominably after a long session!), and the long private passageway at the back of my house makes a great 20m range.

However, I am disappointed with my offhand groups at 20m, and a lot of it seems to be down to stance. The scope is probably not brilliantly sighted in, but at least I can hit the target every time. I'm fine shooting prone (the shooting position I mostly used at school) and kneeling. I remember the old .22 drill:

• Keep both eyes open
  • Relax! This thing doesn't kick anything like a 303. Cradle the rifle, don't hold it in a death grip.
  • Press, don't pull, the trigger, and slowly - let the trigger break be a surprise
  • Take a deep breath and pause halfway through the exhale

I think the problem is the way I'm standing. I have looked at the advice on line, and I'm trying to follow it, but I can't get the bit about my left elbow resting firmly on my left hip. My problem seems to be to do with my front arm, so this would seem to be the issue.

My left elbow digs into my midriff, and would be pinching my left love-handle if I had one. It's not very good support. To get the elbow actually to rest on my hip bone, I have to scrunch up like Groucho bloomin' Marx with half-bent knees- it's impossible to shoot from that position.

Can anyone advise? I'm fed up with the rifle wandering all over the place and firing when a Zen trance tells me it's right.