Thread: Advice required on Original 45 Piston Washer

Advice required on Original 45 Piston Washer

Hello everyone. Please can anyone out there advise me on the removal and replacement of the Piston Washer Unit on the aforementioned rifle.
    The gun is serial number 307389 and stamped Made In Germany 07/81, and is fitted with the later Piston and Washer Unit. The Washers are held in place on the piston by a metal pin. This pin appears to be a push friction fit rather than a screw fit, and so far I've been unable to work out a way to removed it. The diagram I have seems to imply that the pin may form part of the whole new replacement Washer Unit, suggesting that once removed the old one is rendered useless.
    I took it to my local gunsmith, who said he had never seen a set up like it before and was equally stumped.
    I have assumed that the old washers will need to be cut off to give better access to the pin itself, but it will obviously require considerable force to separate it from the piston. Are there any special tools/knack required to remove it?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for that. I will follow it up, hate to see a basically sound old gun go to pot.

Piston washer

Hiya mate,

I have two of the RWS 45 variants of this rifle along with a 50T01 and an older model 50. All have had the piston heads replaced with ptfe replacements by T R Robb.

You will find opinion on the subject split between those that wouldnt touch ptfe with a barge pole and myself who have good service from the mod for many a year.

Good luck with a classic springer

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Isn't the trick with the ptfe stuff to make sure it is cut not too tight cause it expands a tad ?
    Not my cup of tea though. What's wrong with leather, shoots good when correct, I've been converted on this subject.
    Well to be honest I think leather has its place with classic springers- and ptfe is not as forgiving of compression tubes that are not true- but I suppose its a case of suck it and see. The only rifle that I have converted to ptfe with less than desirable results has been a mid 1970's HW35 Luxus and I've since read they were known for a slight constriction at the transfer port end back then.

Ideally there would be companies out there offering to make up nylon or polyurethane piston heads and we wouldnt give ptfe a second look. But unfortunately there are'nt any.

Hey ho!

Dave

Once again thanks for all the input. I will consider all options and suggestions. Have already had a look at Chambers site, but the Piston Washer Unit is out of stock at present. Just had the barrel straightened as the previous owner had managed to bend it. However, that wouldn't seem to be hard to do as my Gunsmith expressed surprise at how soft the metal was!
    Also need to get barrel re blued (the original blue looks quite poor quality to me, which is a suprise given that they were among the top of the heap at the time) Have been told it would be cheaper to buy a new gun!

Still no rush I've got all winter.

Regards