Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self build kentucky kits

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Hi Robin, if this is a smoothbore and ok to put on a sgc, and providing it's still available I'll take it, and drive down on Saturday to pick it up. If you're really not intereted in the money then nominate a charity and I'll make a donation.

atb

Tony
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Hi Tony

No it's a rifle with a 42" swamped patch ball type barrel by Getz with London proofs. I did think about the .54 but Jim Chambers told me it would no be so deliciously light and pointable as the 0.6.

Doesn't worry me who has it, or what price so long as it doesn't cost me more than dumping the barrel down the police station. Would like to get it signed off my FAC before years end if poss. If someone could collect it and do the paperwork that would be famous

Robin

ok, so could a smooth bore barrel be fitted? presumably it would then have to be proofed and then put on an SGC ?

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this

Hi Robin

If you could post to Henry Kranks, my local RFD I would be more than happy to cover any costs incurred

Andrew

a bit of competition for this

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    ok, so could a smooth bore barrel be fitted? presumably it would then have to be proofed and then put on an SGC ?
    I could hand the barrel in and send the rest. Only the pressure component counts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerman View Post
    If you could post to Henry Kranks, my local RFD I would be more than happy to cover any costs incurred
    I'm not an RFD, I need someone to sign off my certificate. I could probably get Ivan at Weston's to send it but his palm would need greasing

Hi Robin

Let me know how much the grease costs

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    I could hand the barrel in and send the rest. Only the pressure component counts
    If you decide not to grease any palms can I have the action please?

I could collect it when my variation comes through but they (West Mercia) say it could take up to two months.
    Daz

I think Westons charged £25 last time they received a gun for me, you'd have to ask them if you wanted a price for sending one.

I have until mid-January when my FLA will 'phone to ask why MLAGB didn't submit a record sheet to show I had shot it. If it was waiting for someone to get a variation before it went that would probably suffice.

I have a clayshoot first Sunday every month just outside Guildford, you could get it there if that's closer.

I will definately take it if it is still going.
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I will definately take it if it is still going.
    Alleluyah

Daz mate, you just got yourself a gun. Let me know when you have the variation and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

It's listed on my FAC as...

.60 JIM CHAMBERS FLINTLOCKS LTD FLINTLOCK RIFLE MUZZLE LOADING NONE

A hoot to shoot

best regards

Robin

The paperwork will be in the post tomorrow.
    Daz

Talking of Americal rifles, I have a Bown and this was his original advert...

http://www.robinhewitt.net/bown-ad.jpg

Bown was an Englishman who set up shop at the safe end of the Oregon trail. There was a big industry relieving boat loads of immigrants of anything valuable and kitting them out for the long journey west.

The rifle is functional in a hideously ugly kind of way. Tremendously nose heavy. However not quite so uncomfortable as the one depicted.

Going by the theory, you can't sell people what they need you have to sell them what they want... could it be that the immigrants were familiar with a stylised, bizarre artists impression of an American rifle? The actual butt plate is extremely uncomfortable, the one in the picture would make you bleed.

Americans explain this monstrosity as a "bicep grip". I'm not convinced, I think it could be a Davy Crockett comic book gun made strangely real

You can get them cheap as a kit, no licence required