Thread: Storing A Co2 Pistol??

y2kfireblade Guest

Storing A Co2 Pistol??

Is it safe to store a co2 pistol with the co2 cartridge "activated" as in pushed in and ready to go? Will this damage the seals at all or anything else?
    Will it leak over time?
    Thanks in advance.

Chris.

No, it's not advisable. You'll get away with it for a week or so, especially if you've put a drop of Pellgun oil on the top of the bulb to stop the seals drying out, but they shouldn't be stored long-term with CO2 in them because the seals will go.

A good habit to get into is always to finish the CO2 off with more shooting at the end of a session - I tend to favour rapid-fire at drinks cans, especially when the pressure has dropped to the point where accuracy has gone all over the place.

i used to leave mine with the co2 in but not screwed in so all i had to do was screw it up to pierce it and away you go

I usually store mine with Co2 bulbs in, but only half-full.
    War does not determine who is right; War determines who is left.

y2kfireblade Guest
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    No, it's not advisable. You'll get away with it for a week or so, especially if you've put a drop of Pellgun oil on the top of the bulb to stop the seals drying out, but they shouldn't be stored long-term with CO2 in them because the seals will go.

A good habit to get into is always to finish the CO2 off with more shooting at the end of a session - I tend to favour rapid-fire at drinks cans, especially when the pressure has dropped to the point where accuracy has gone all over the place.
    AS ABOVE

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I try to empty the cylinder by shooting off all the CO2: but I'd rather throw a partially filled cylinder away, than run the risk of damaging the gun by storing it with the cylinder still in it.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Interesting...the usual advice I've read is to keep some gas in the gun always. Not a fresh bulb, but to put the gun away when you feel the pressure running down so that the seals are sealed but not "jammed". Whatever you choose, I have always left some gas and can't say it's hurt. I once put away a Crosman Mark I for over a dozen years (retired it for "historical" reasons, it was my first AP) and it still had pressure when I next tried it.

Whether you leave some gas or not, I think the "take away" here is to not put a fresh bulb in unless you plan to shoot it down.

The only thing I would ensure if I was putting a pistol away for a while is that the cartridge had a touch of pellgun oil on it, and wasn't a "dry" one.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357