Thread: Advice for a semi-n00b sought

Dragonblaster Guest

Unhappy Advice for a semi-n00b sought

I shot competition .22 and .303 at school, but that was 30 years ago. Recently, the old shoot-lust returned, and in a short space of time, I'd bought a TX200 MkIII with a Nikko Stirling Platiinum Nighteater 8-32x44.

I'm certainly happy with the kit (although my left arm aches abominably after a long session!), and the long private passageway at the back of my house makes a great 20m range.

However, I am disappointed with my offhand groups at 20m, and a lot of it seems to be down to stance. The scope is probably not brilliantly sighted in, but at least I can hit the target every time. I'm fine shooting prone (the shooting position I mostly used at school) and kneeling. I remember the old .22 drill:

• Keep both eyes open
    • Relax! This thing doesn't kick anything like a 303. Cradle the rifle, don't hold it in a death grip.
    • Press, don't pull, the trigger, and slowly - let the trigger break be a surprise
    • Take a deep breath and pause halfway through the exhale

I think the problem is the way I'm standing. I have looked at the advice on line, and I'm trying to follow it, but I can't get the bit about my left elbow resting firmly on my left hip. My problem seems to be to do with my front arm, so this would seem to be the issue.

My left elbow digs into my midriff, and would be pinching my left love-handle if I had one. It's not very good support. To get the elbow actually to rest on my hip bone, I have to scrunch up like Groucho bloomin' Marx with half-bent knees- it's impossible to shoot from that position.

Can anyone advise? I'm fed up with the rifle wandering all over the place and firing when a Zen trance tells me it's right.

Firstly find the stance rotation that naturally brings the sights up and down the centre of the target. Or if that just isn't stable pick a stable stance and make it become natural over time.

Do you notice when your on the target and breathe in and out the rifle goes up and down. Inhale/exhale to get the rifle to the right height.

What I find helps, might not be good advice though, (assuming right handed) I pull the rifle into my shoulder with my right hand, I do not grip with the left hand.

Keep trying and keep practicing, it takes time to become comfortable with the position, there are more variables (muscles) affecting the stability of the rifle than in other positions.

And wind the scope right up to 32x, then you know when you are on centre, but don't snatch the trigger.

Matt

Dragon......

Matts advice is on the money.

As an aid to natural alignment on the target, once you think you are set. close your eyes and lower the frifle from the aim.

Keeping your eyes closed bring the rifle back up to the aim, open your eyes if you are on target then shoot if not then move your feet to bring you in aim

Repeat until you are naturally on the target. This may take 3-4 trys!

Most of all dont take it too seriously and enjoy your shooting
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

As the 2 above.

But dont try and put your elbow on your hip, most men cannot do this, just bring the elbow into the body with the fore arm vertical, and rest the rifle on the hand or fist, let the rifle do the work not your muscles, the rifle should be balanced not held, if you hold the rifle then the pulse in the hand will tell in the group.

HTH
    Regards
    Bob

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa7ODrtWMY

This might give you some tips - who's the geezer in the hat anyway?

Note that in HFT the bean bag must go under the knee, in FT under the shin is OK.