Thread: Making Lubed Wads

Making Lubed Wads

Does anyone make their own lubed wads for BP pistol shooting? … If so what sort of felt do you use, what thickness and where do you get it from?

I want to make some wads for my .36 and .44 BP Pistols – any ideas what to use to cut the wads out of the felt with for each calibre.

Also, here is a recipe I want to try that I heard about:

In a pot slowly melt equal volumes of Beeswax and Trex and some vegetable oil (a few tablespoons). Once this mixture has melted mix in your cut felt and remove to a sheet of wax paper to dry.

Anyone else use similar lube ingredients? … if so please post yours.
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

Here is were i buy my felt the quality is very good. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

These are the punchs i use they are cheap but work good. I use the end grain of a log for a cutting bord. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3838

Mike

Yes, I tried Beeswax, Trex and olive oil - just experiment with the amount to suit really. I keep mine in the fridge keeps it from softing up too much.

Felt, I got mine from a Model and Craft shop not very thick 1.5mm, so not ideal, but moisten the felt with your mix and put x2 pieces of the felt wad together. Make sure it is felt and not a nylon mix... You could try your local charity shops for old felt hats.

Punch, had my .44 punch made up by an engineering/hardware type outlet.

After much experimenting I've found that not using a wad and just putting straight Trex over the ball works fine. If I'm plinking I use a flask, if going for accuracy I use glass phials with powder weighed accurately - this I think is the key.

If using a light load in your .44 you could consider a filler the ball will be less likely to jump i.e. closer to the breech. Aaahhh can't recall what I used if I remember I'll let you know..

Wink Wads.

Hi, Non of the guys at our club bother with wads in revolvers. We use a filler on top of the powder, usually semolena to bring the ball to the top of the cylinder. Then use wonder lube to seal the end. Iv tried water pump grease which some swear by but i have found wonder lube to work well in my Rogers and Spencer. I also melt it in the microwave and soak my patches in it for the Lepage muzzle loader and the .577 muzzle loading rifle. Also i use it to lube the bullets when using black powder in my rolling block. Seams to help keep the crud soft after shooting thus aiding cleaning. Smells nice too, just like germaline and a pot lasts me about 2 years so works out quite cheep.

Semolina for a filler yes, that's what I tried. Got moaned at by the guy who cleans the range, he's not that keen on us using Trex either - moaning minnie.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yep I do use Trex over the balls and find it works well but very messy. Also, if the weather is warm enough it sometimes flies off the unfired chambers due to the recoil, which is why I want try a wad between the powder and the ball.

Cheers and thanks again.
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

The lube i use for my cap and ball wads is one part paraffin wax one part Crisco and 1/2 part bees wax by weight. Put a small empty can in a pot with a few inches of water melt the waxes and Crisco together stirring with a small stick when mixed let cool. To lube wads a small can pot with water like before melt two tablespoons of lube and stir in 100 punched wads and let cool. It is a good firm lube that won't contaminate your powder and will keep your gun well lubed.

Mike

wads

I have never used wads but dont you find they compress a lot on loading. ?? Semolina doesnt compress much so you get a consistant load.
    Tim

The lube that i posted above will not compress it is very firm because of the paraffin wax. You can also can also pour this lube in a small pan about 1/8 inch thick let cool and cut into grease cookies. you can use these instead of wads.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...lt/pics116.jpg

Mike

Wads

GOOGLE WOLLIES market Deepong they are a car upholsterer and have all sorts of felt in large sheets and cheap thats who I used to use

Deershooter

Always use natural fibre Woollen Felts .http://www.hardy-hanson.co.uk will supply 1 mt x 1 mt in a roll. I bought 5mm Medium density (0.22)felt which I think is a bit soft. I am going to buy 5mm Extra firm (0.40) next time.
    I use a mix of 10%Beeswax ,10% paraffin wax and 80%tallow in the winter and 30% beeswax, 30% paraffin wax and 40% tallow in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    Yes, I tried Beeswax, Trex and olive oil .
    Sorry if I sound stupid here, but when you say TREX, doyou mean the vegetable cooking oil stuff? Or something else?

I'd hate to use cooking fat if it's supposed to be some high-tech super-lube stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve883 View Post
    Sorry if I sound stupid here, but when you say TREX, doyou mean the vegetable cooking oil stuff? Or something else?

I'd hate to use cooking fat if it's supposed to be some high-tech super-lube stuff!!
    Not oil - Trex vegetable fat.

It works fine smeared over the balls (if you pardon the expression!) to prevent chain fire and provide lube. The problem is that it can fly off due to the recoil and heat.

Excellent, have some in the pantry, will try rubbing my balls in it on Tuesday when I go shooting next.

Try explaining that to the wife.