Thread: Bushnell Sportsman 3-9 x 40

Bushnell Sportsman 3-9 x 40

This was the scope I originally had with my HW95 before moving on to a Simmons Whitetail 1.5-5 x 20 mini scope. The latter, while a great bit of kit, has proved to be less versatile at the ranges I usually shoot at and my eyes need about x 6 with better light-gathering capabilities.

Anyway, I again made the mistake of popping into my local airgun shop recently after picking up a parcel from the depot located nearby. I had been thinking of getting the Sportsman again for the reasons mentioned above and of course I walked out of the store with the scope. I took some time to compare it against other scopes and in particular a Hawke scope similarly priced around the £90 mark. The Hawke was a 4-12 and optically very similar to the Sportsman and was perfectly clear and acceptable. The only downside with the Hawke was the field of view was less good, the image was surrounded by a larger area of black compared with the Bushnell.

Anyway, got the scope home and was relieved to find that my Sportsmatch one-piece mounts I used with the Simmons scope fitted the Bushnell fine, with a few millimetres of clearance from the body of the barrel at the objective end. I fitted the scope easily taking care -- as always -- not to overtighten the screws.

Went out into the garden and within three shots the scope was zero-ed at ~ 22 yards, which is the perfect range for incoming squirrels as they pass along a familiar corridor of track towards a large oak tree during early autumn. H&N FTT in .22 is the staple diet of the Weihrauch and accuracy is pellet on pellet, certainly for this range.

The Bushnell has a fixed parallax of 50 yards. At 20 yards this is not really a problem at all at minimum magnification, but it does become blurred at x9 and a strain on the eyes. At that magnification, the picture does become somewhat milky and prone to reflection of light bouncing off the cornea into the scope, and then back into the eye.

I have fixed the parallax issue myself by unscrewing the front locking ring and turning -- very carefully so as not to touch the lens -- the objective lens a few turns "outwards". This has brought the fixed parallax down to 25 yards, ideal for me and my HW95K. Some pictures:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...O_05/scope.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...05/scope_2.jpg

In summary, the optics are very good indeed, and I would say exceptional for the price of a budget scope. Drawbacks include the fixed parallax and the slightly milky image at high magnification, but I am comparing this scope with my other Bushnells. And yesterday it claimed a rabbit from the garden.
    Last edited by C3PO_1; 11-09-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Updated with pix
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Updated with reparallax details.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

got one on my falcon in my signature wouldnt swap it for anything on a 12ftlb rifle.had it for years now and find the reticule fantastic in low light or lamping acounted for alot of vermin

I had one on my Stingray. A decent scope indeed. Didn't like he looks of the bulkier eyepiece though.
    ATB,
    yana

Exclamation updated paralex

Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    Updated with reparallax details.
    you mention update paralex ,i have orderd a bushnel sporsman from our host jsr ,my normal hunying range from static hides is 19 to 25 yards ,if the paralex is set for a diffrent distance can one adjust it manualy ,i usualy do a zero on 9+,and that is just see better where my shots fall,once i have zeroed i turn it down to 7or 8+,as i find i can keep on hold better, if you know how to do this could you let me know,thanks,ken

No you cannot adjust it manually, except for the first time. What you have to do is remove the objective ring at the front and adjust -- once only -- the objective lens by turning it a few times. But once you have turned the lens you should be fine at x9. Another option is to perhaps try the MTC Cobra range which I'm sure are suitable for your ranges parallax-wise.

Exclamation paralex

thanks for your reply,if i am shooting at my rjght sitty which is 25yds away,scope on 9+,it is out of focus,do i turn it out or in to get it clear,thanks alot ,am learning more each day since i have become a member,ken

To be honest, I cannot remember

Just be gentle and do one half turn at a time, being very careful with the lens ... do so at your own risk ... then take a look through. It took me about four complete turns to get it okay for me. Once it is done it is fine.

Hi does anyone know what size butler creek covers this scope takes????

Red face c3po-1

Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    To be honest, I cannot remember

Just be gentle and do one half turn at a time, being very careful with the lens ... do so at your own risk ... then take a look through. It took me about four complete turns to get it okay for me. Once it is done it is fine.
    thanks again for your info will let you know how i get on when i receave my new scope,?when you mount one of your scopes do you put any protective tape or other sort to protect the scope body,thanks again,ken

No, just ensure the screws are finger tight.