Thread: Ruger Number one rifles

Ruger Number one rifles

Not really a review, more of an opinion:

I recently bought two of these lovely rifles, one is Walnut and black in .223 the other is Stainless and Laminate .204, both are Varmint models

Both are std apart from screwcut, and both have been recrowned by C n Shoot, both these rifles are accurate beyond belief considering they dont have floating barrels, glass pillar bedding and all the stuff we usually do to our bolt guns

Triggers have been adjusted and cleaned up, the .223 shoots PMC factory ammo (50grn Gameking bullets) into a half inch hole at 100yds (5 shots!)

The .204 is grouping well with 40grn Bergers and 40grn Vmax, in fact its boringly accurate at 100 yds, I bought this one of Neil (Dasherman) and he said it may need a recrown as the one it came with wasnt done by him, I got Chris to to recrown it as it looked a bit iffy

Thesae rifles have immensely strong actions so these sort of calibres aint powerful enough for it too even wake up They are very nice to shoot, the falling block style is very easy to operate and anybody that likes single shot rifles should get a look at these Ruber No 1s

I have had one in .270 and that was one accurate rifle too, also got my eye on a 25-06 that is going for a good price

The unusual thing about these rifles is that they seem to shoot very well without any mods or tuning, I have read about the spring hanger that sits beneath the barrel can need a bit of relieving to stop it touching barrel, but I think that must be on early models as theres plenty of gap on these two

I think these two are "keepers"
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

I've been wondering whether to buy a No 1 for some months now. As a left-hander, the ambidextrous action really appeals, as does the simplicity and elegance of the gun. It's interesting that the new No 1s don't have any accuracy concerns, as the Internet is heaving with tales of woe about No 1s, and all the 'required' fixes.

Baz, do you find your No 1s quick to reload, if you needed a swift follow-up shot?

Baz,i`ve got a Ruger 10/22 and i love it!I`ve got a Tikka T3 in 22-250 and would`nt swap it for the world!

ruger no 1

hello baz i have a very nice one with case hardend parts on it and it has been restocked i lovelly walnut with bone tip and i chambered in 6mmbr if interested.

I have a Light Sporter in 270 which if I'm really honest I shouldn't have brought. Is was cosmetically a bit of a mess. The wood work was dented and starched as well as the blue showing water damaged. The iron sights where missing and the screws on the rings where chewed up, though rifling looked good.

I should have walked away but I really wanted a Ruger No1 and this was the first I come across that I could afford. The alarm bells banging away but still I brought it.

I cleaned it up the best I could but it still looks a bit shabby and so off to the range I went and was very disappointed. The thing shoots like a shotgun no matter what I put through it. After a few tries I got the bloke at Fultons to have a look and he said the rifling was O.K but full of copper. Should of know if the last owner didn't look after the outside he sure as hell didn't look after the inside .

Weeks later and I still trying to get all the copper out. Is such a shame that some people just don't look after their rifles as this could have been such a good gun
    Last edited by moonraker; 01-10-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    Real calibres start with a .4

I find it very easy to make a follow up shot if ever needed, I have a butt bag fitted which has loops for rounds on one side, plus I have a wristband which takes 3 rounds so no problem at all

Your 270 sounds like it has been very neglected, unfortunately even a basically superb rifle such as the Number one hasnt got a barrel that will take years of neglect without complaint, any make or model of gun will shoot rubbish groups if it hasnt been looked after, but some people are such poor shots they wouldnt notice

I have read tales of the hammer spring hanger needing a bit of work as it sits below the barrel and the forend is pressure bedded at the end, my .223 still has that bedding and it is a tackdriver as already mentioned

The .204 I still havent had time to really get to grips with but as said its a shooter

I did have a .270 Number one and as I said in first post it was accurate too

Maybe these later guns are more accurate I dont know, but the 270 wasnt a very recent model

There is a forum just for this model and it is very popular in the US, and they are not known for being "uncritical" over there
    Baz

I supposed that's what makes it so galling I know that No1 are great guns but some idiot has wrecked a good rifle because he couldn't be bother to clean it and now it's going to cost to get it right.
    Real calibres start with a .4

Ahh, a rifle after my heart...

I've had a Ruger #1 going on 25 years (wow, that long?). 30-06 with a grade 3 black walnut stock. Nice and accurate (and I cover it up in the woods). 3/4MOA with 168BT (custom reload).

They are one of the most nimble and well balanced guns in the woods. easy to maneuuver in thick brush (second to a Winchester lever).

But you didn't mention about the one shot. It really makes you think about each and every shot. Making that shot placement count. Sure, follow-up shots can be fast, but, that's not my point. It's the one-shot thing.

Moonraker, look here for a new stock

Rugers: http://www.gunstocks.com/gallery2/ma...?g2_itemId=631 There is a nice #1 half waw down.

Arrrrrr, half way down again! http://www.gunstocks.com/gallery2/ma...Rifles/2piece/

The company; http://www.gunstocks.com/gallery2/ma...?g2_itemId=631

Have the action blued, it doesn't cost that much in the UK, does it? In the US I disassemble my guns and have them hot blued for between $100 - $150.

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Not really a review, more of an opinion
    Have you banned yourself from the review section Baz?
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. MH View Post
    Have you banned yourself from the review section Baz?
    Yep
    Baz