Thread: HW45 Truglo sights

HW45 Truglo sights

BBS newbie

I've just ordered an HW45 which I believe has Truglo sights. Has anyone used this type of sight? Are they any good or should I be looking at a red dot sight? If so any recommendations?

I intend to use it for plinking in the garden and to try my hand at pistol HFT

I hope I've done this right!!

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    i'got .177 with iron sights and .22 with tru-glow, the true glow are really good especially in low light.
    as the hw 45 is quite a heavy gun any way the red dot would only add to the weight and probably make your aim less steady over a prolonged shooting session.
    atb
    cptman
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

Truglow???

are truglow sights like fibre optic sights??
    AA S400 Classic GinB, Gamo Delta, HW45 .177 =] ASI Sniper .22

Red face okkkkkkkkkk

yes fibre optics,,,,,these sights are great,,,ive a hw40pca,,,has same fitted

i dont have a hw45 but iv tried them out and they are my favourite pistol. There awesome fun too shoot and very accurate.!!!
    AA S400 Classic GinB, Gamo Delta, HW45 .177 =] ASI Sniper .22

I have a HW45 that I specifically bought because it had Truglo sights. I really like them. Many people don't...I have *no* idea why...they certainly work no worse than the regular iron sights on this gun. In very low light they look pretty much like the iron sights. They need a bit of directly overhead light to glow. Now, what would be great is if they put a touch of luminescent stuff in the fibres. The only downside to the Truglo is the rear sight may be a bit more delicate, perhaps vulnerable when cocking??, but so far so good, no doubt less durable than the solid metal sights in the long term though. But if the fibres "get lost" somehow, the sights will still work.

I also have another HW45 with a Red Dot. This seems to be the preferred sighting method over here. Can be a bit heavy until you become accustomed, especially with the stock grip panels...most seem to change them (to Pachmayr/Hogue/Beeman) for a more comfortable grip with that extra front weight. The RD allows you to hold over more accurately, tougher to do with iron sights. Some may find the RD helps keep the muzzle down, until you learn the technique.

I much prefer the open sights with this pistol.

Thanks for the info, it sounds that HW45 is going to be a lot of fun, can't wait for it to arrive now, should be here mid next week.

My HW40 has the "glows" and I don't like them as they "blur" probably due to my eyesight so I cut the rearsight ones out and blanked the foresight one with tape...much better..
    Eric.

I don't know how the HW40 Truglo sights are. On the HW45, it wouldn't really matter if the glowy bits "blurred" because there is enough metal around them to sight with. In very low light they don't glow anyway, so not much diff to the regular metal sights as far as sight picture.

I think some people are predisposed to not liking any Truglo sights because of bad experience with some poor implementations. Especially with some cheaper and inferior so-called glowy sights. That said, I am not too pleased with the Weihrauch implementation of their Truglo rifle sights, mainly the front one.

In general, I think middle-aged+ people (like me!) appreciate Truglo more. Our vision requirements are a little strange, and continually varying, and I have often thought the preponderance of Truglo sights these days is due to the age of the shooter who tends to buy these "expensive" guns.

What I get is a blurred glow which in turn fuzzes up the edges of my sights...I'm bad enough with normal sights ...I don't need dayglo pyrotechnics making it worse but obviously I'm in the minority with this one...
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    ...but obviously I'm in the minority with this one...
    Eric.
    Actually probably not, from what I've heard. Maybe just here. People who like using traditional open sights on sporting arms can be very sticky about any screwing around with them...

Ratgunner

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    BBS newbie

I've just ordered an HW45 which I believe has Truglo sights. Has anyone used this type of sight? Are they any good or should I be looking at a red dot sight? If so any recommendations?

I intend to use it for plinking in the garden and to try my hand at pistol HFT

I hope I've done this right!!
    Hiya Sark
    I Have a HW45 .22 but with iron sights it is an awesome pistol once you have found a pellet that suits it you can drive in nails with it, have a QB78 .22 rifle with truglo's they are very good, I used it in a recent HFT shoot (purely for fun) and scored 39 out of 60 which I was well pleased with,
    Have a great time with your new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    What I get is a blurred glow which in turn fuzzes up the edges of my sights...I'm bad enough with normal sights ...I don't need dayglo pyrotechnics making it worse but obviously I'm in the minority with this one...
    Eric.
    I agree with Eric, mind you I bought my HW40 on his recommendation and very good it is too.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dissduck View Post
    I agree with Eric, mind you I bought my HW40 on his recommendation and very good it is too.
    John
    Hiya John...hope you're well....
    See...we're all bat-eyed in Diss....
    Eric.

I wish I had tru glow sights on my HW45,got 'em on my HW40 and I love 'em.....and my eyes are knackered ........tho obviously not as bad as Erics

atb,Keith