Thread: Who's Buying Your Gun...

Who's Buying Your Gun...

Have just had a request from a bloke at work to see if i had an air rifle for sale.
    He said he wanted it for use in the garden. Fair enough eh?
    As i didn't know him that well i thought i would ask a mutual friend if he was 'safe'
    It turned out that he was not in a good place in his life and i'm glad i asked the question.
    The verdict was that I would not sell the gun to him as he wanted it to "have around the house" (a comment disclosed to me)
    We did not think he represented a real threat to himself or anyone else and no mention was made about any intention to cause harm at all, if there was i would have spoken to the police by now thats for sure.
    I know most of the folks who use this forum are super safe and are wiser than I.
    Anyone else viewing, are you?
    THE DEER HUNTER
    AA S410 .177,
    DAYSTATE PH6 .22, Winchester SX2.

Good call bud. 'If in doubt, don't' always applies!
    War does not determine who is right; War determines who is left.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    So he will just got to a shop and buy one.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Probably But at least if anything untoward was to happen it won't be on r.j.s conscious.

Very responsible of you.
    My guns; BSA R-10 (.22), BSA XL Tactical (.177), BSA Lightning (.177), Gamo CF-30 (.22), Gamo Cadet (.177), Cometa 100 (.177), Gamo P-800 Pistol (.177)

you wouldn't sell him an airgun because someone else told you he was 'in a difficult place' in his life (according to them obviously)

if you were that concerned about the fellow why not just talk to him and make up your own mind? if YOU thought he might be a risk you could always say "sorry mate but my brother etc has first dibs...." and take it from there

what if you ever sell him a s/h car - make sure to tell him exactly how fast he can drive it on different roads....wouldn't want him breaking the law now would we...

its bad enough the government making further restrictions on the ownership of airguns without well meaning airgunners doing the same because the potential buyer might be 'unhappy'

Acid House is offline Rivi's very own Shrek (and Coronation Street fan).
    I must admit I've sold a gun or two to complete tossers.

Never again......
    Enlightenment is only a click away http://www.rivington-riflemen.org
    If a man talks in the woods and nobody hears him, is he still wrong?

i.m.o if you have any reason to think you shouldn't sell someone a gun, whether you are correct in your assumptions or not, you have every right not to. after all it's still your gun.

it'd be on your consicence if something unpleasant happend, no-one elses. so i don't think anyone else has the right to criticise any decision you make.

for what it's worth, it sounds to me that you made a wise decision.

jc

Quote Originally Posted by Acid House View Post
    I must admit I've sold a gun or two to complete tossers.

Never again......
    well i dont think anyone here is advocating the sale of airguns to 'complete tossers' -- not the op, and certainly not me.

just because the potential buyer might be going through a rough patch should that prevent him from owning perfectly legitimate items? maybe a bit of plinking is what he needs to take his mind of his troubles.. it would seem that we dont have enough information at this time

Quote Originally Posted by hotelkilo View Post
    maybe a bit of plinking is what he needs to take his mind of his troubles..
    Agreed. I've "been living with" (the councillors says "suffering" is too negative) depression for years. After my band split up I was in a bad way and practically never left the house. Got myself some pistols for garden plinking, now a rifle and I'm going to a club every Sunday and getting out of the house regularly.

I'd never dream of hurting anyone/thing (including myself) with any of my guns (outside of legal hunting, at least), they've just added a new aspect to my life, both a new hobby and new friends. "Around the house" is pretty vague, something that could easily have come through chinese whispers. I like having my pistols around the house because it means they're easily accessible to get out into the garden and stick some holes in a few cans, doesn't mean I sit on my sofa staring at the front door with a rifle on my knee, waiting for the postman to arrive so I can hit him through the letter box.

rjs: - Personally, i think you made the right decision, despite others' comments.

At the end of the day, its your possession and you can sell, or withhold sale, to whoever you want.

We all have a duty of care to others. And, as others have rightly pointed out, your own self concious also comes into it.

Stick with your own gut feeling: "If in doubt, there is no doubt".

sniper22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    or the local b2 emporium - the back of a transit on his local police patrolled and secure car boot fair. the guns do more mileage in and out of the transit than charly borman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali P View Post
    rjs: - Personally, i think you made the right decision, despite others' comments.

At the end of the day, its your possession and you can sell, or withhold sale, to whoever you want.

We all have a duty of care to others. And, as others have rightly pointed out, your own self concious also comes into it.

Stick with your own gut feeling: "If in doubt, there is no doubt".
    Totally agree. Simple commonsense.

think your over reacting,calling the police, but yes you made a safe decision and nothing would be on your mind but to go on about so and so said this and pass judgement on there say so is wrong in my opinion.

what would i have done?
    i would of spoke to him,see what kind of attitude he had then made my own decision,as mentioned above he can go and buy from the shop so would make no difference.

i understand where your coming from but thats like me telling you so and so member said this that,so you should jump off 10th floor flat would you?joking

its up to you what you do at the end of the day,on what ive read you done the safest thing but may be not the right thing which is take another persons judgement as gospel.

now what kind of problems he having?
    i have problems,big ones every day,mrs dont cook me bacon buttys in the morning which is a major problem and i some times cant get to sleep till late because some one tried nicking my car,my babby shouts so loud his making me def and mrs always wants lifts shopping,should i be allowed to buy your gun?
    just a example mate and no harm ment,you should of spoke to him your self and made you own mind up.

as i say you done the safest thing and you wont be worried if any thing was to happen if you did sell.

sort of a right but wrong decision to be perfectly honest.
    atb