Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simmons Scopes - Made in China?

Don't fear the Russians, they finished, don't fear the Yanks, simply war mongers who never win. Fear China, they will oneday rule the world!

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    It's the importers who provide the spec. this stuff is built to. The Chinese will supply top quality if your willing to pay for it.
    absolutely spot on! well nearly.

There is a limit on quality based on the lens manufacturers capability, "Japanese" scopes will "never"(?) compete with German because the lens manufacturers can't get the same glass crystals. The problem with Chinese scopes is both spec and culture. Spec, as POK says, is often not their fault.

Some of oour big boys want a scope they can sell for under £50 and therefore, with their overheads, end up screwing the manufacturer down to a few $$. Not their fault. The other problem is culture, there is an attitude of "near enough is good enough" in China. Details are not too important. This means that QC and finish is not ideal.

We are fortunate that our manufacturers come from outside China and have much higher expectations, but even then if we look at the finish on the Viper it is not what we would like. Sure, it works ok, but could be so much prettier. The manufacturers focus is less than 2% failures, bomb proof internals, high quality lenses, and so why is a nice deep finish needed?

We have been lucky enough to become close friends with them, to the point that this friendship would stay outside business, and as such have been able to teach them a little about expectations which they have taken on board. They have taught us so much more about design and build, but nonetheless the new scopes we have coming out have a much more european ergonomic.

There are certain instances that I can't use one of our scopes, and at that time I'll shop around. I have no interest in where it's manufactured, I look to the company selling the scope. Again, as POK says, they have the final say and the manufacture behind is immaterial.

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    omg , i hope the chinese dont start making air guns .
    Getting Old