Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: left eye dominant

Smile left eye dominant

I am right handed left eye dominant, anyone had experience of the rink grips with the 7degree off set, I also plan to shoot prone small bore would I need a rifle with offset sights and can one fit a prescription lens, (old eyes)? hope someone out there has found the answer.

There was a discussion on this subject on the Stirton Forum recently. The concensus was that for pistol it was better to shoot same hand and eye rather than to try and match dominance. This presumes that the non-dominant eye is "fit for purpose", if not it may be worth trying the non-dominant hand before going down the offset grip route.

Rifle shooting is a bit different and there are 2 answers to the problem available, either a prismatic periscope or offset sight blocks. Gehmann produce both, the Gehmann Crossover Prism ISSF Legal 597 and the Gehmann Sight Displacement Blocks 857. They can be seen here on the Intershoot website.

There are advantages and drawbacks to both solutions but I have seen both used successfully over the years.

Hope that this helps.
    Rutty
    Last edited by Rutty; 06-10-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

dominant eye

problem is my steyr and feinwerkbeau pistols are right handed but I will try and use my right eye, thanks for the info on the rifles, best regards, Derek

Derek,

I have some Rifle offset blocks somewhere if you want to go down that route.
    Regards
    Bob

Have you actually started shooting yet--if not shoot right handed and use the non-dominant eye. You can quite easily learn to shoot either hand for rifles--only a matter of perseverance and patience. I shoot either hand now,I made a conscious decision to learn some years ago after a friend lost the sight in his 'shooting eye'.
    I still need to 'think about it' right handed but can shoot reasonably well.
    If you have already done a lot of shooting you may find it much harder,but it can be done.

Have you tried covering one eye ?

I'm a right hand / left eye dominant rifle shooter and use shooting glasses with a translucent blinder over my left eye - I do reasonably well too.
    Beretta 682 12G Gold 30¾" - Anschutz 1613 SuperMatch 54 .22RF - Anschutz 2002 - Swing Mk5 7.62mm 30" Border 1 in 13 Twist Xbox: multihrndsheep

I'm left dominant and just cover my left eye for prolonged shoots. For snap, I just concentrate harder, works for me.

eye-eye

thanks for all your help, Derek

I shoot F class, 22 Bench rest, clay targets, and used to shoot practical pistol and do a lot of archery, I have become quite ambi I just tilt my head a bit for pistol holding it in my right hand I put left handed stocks with right handed actions rifles and have my bows made left handed I find I can use any finger for the trigger but I have been shooting for 35 years.
    I love my country, but fear my government

eye

thanks again, Derek

Left eye dominant here. But I shoot right handed and use normal sights. I shoot with a translucent blind over the left.

I would work out wether you can manage without special sights or not first, as they are rather expensive. Cant can be a problem if it's not consistent.

I shoot left handed and right eye dominant, both eyes work fine, I just avoid shotguns that's all.

I am right-handed, but left eye dominant so shoot left-handed.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Rink offset grips

You asked about Rink grips with the offset, first of all I shoot righthanded with my left eye and I shoot a FWB65 and it does help, I feel as if the pistol is now pointing more naturaly at the target and when i raise the pistol the sights are more or less in line there is less effort in holding the pistol on target

Regards

Iain

dominant eye

many thanks Ian, I am trying to use my right eye now, if this fails I shall uy rink grips, may I ask who you bought them from, regards, Derek