View Poll Results: Who shoots a full practice card before a competition card ?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do

26 68.42%
  • I don't

12 31.58%

Thread: Who shoots a practice card first ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I used to shoot practice cards, but dont bother anymore. I now class all cards as match cards. I am usually shooting 3 or 4 postal comps at a time. These include county cards, pairs postal, East Midlands postal and any other competition that is available.

I tend to put five shots in the sighter and then move on to the card and dont look down the spotting scope after the sighter. It stops my heart from racing when I get five 10's on the trot only to pull a flyer on the sixth target.

I shot three cards lastnight, 96, 94 and a 99.

Ah well I'm pleased to see it's not just me.

The next competition, I'm just going to steam in there with no practice cards, a few on the sighter and take it from there.

It'll be cheaper, too !!

Quote Originally Posted by markp1169 View Post
    I tend to put five shots in the sighter and then move on to the card and dont look down the spotting scope after the sighter. It stops my heart from racing when I get five 10's on the trot only to pull a flyer on the sixth target.
    Risky...! A mate scoped the first two counting shots. Were both central 10s. Worked his way round the card, found he had put out eight 9s. Each 9 was in exactly the same place on every diagram. Evidently something had changed in his position after the second shot and he was putting them out very consistently.

I shoot quite a few competitions on the electronics at Bisley, so I have had to learn not to get excited by a string of good shots, since they are flashing at you from the screen and are difficult to ignore.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    Risky...! A mate scoped the first two counting shots. Were both central 10s. Worked his way round the card, found he had put out eight 9s. Each 9 was in exactly the same place on every diagram. Evidently something had changed in his position after the second shot and he was putting them out very consistently.

I shoot quite a few competitions on the electronics at Bisley, so I have had to learn not to get excited by a string of good shots, since they are flashing at you from the screen and are difficult to ignore.
    Yes it could be risky and agree with what you are saying. Usually I get down to shoot from one week or detail to the next and I will only have to adjust my sights by one or two clicks at most. The other thing is that by not scoping after the first shot on the card my position doesnt get disturbed as much because I am not constantly looking down my spotting scope. I shoot right handed, with a lazy left eye so have to scope with my long sighted right eye. Things would be alot easier for me to spot if I had a scoring screen infront of me.