Thread: How much harder is 10m than 6yd

How much harder is 10m than 6yd

I have been shooting a lot at 6yds with proportionately sized targets (i.e. they have the same apparent size at 6yds as a 10m target does at 10m). I've been very happy with my results (shot 527 at the weekend, and I've only been shooting for a month).

HOWEVER.....it occurred to me that shooting at 6yds is easier than 10m, even with proportionately sized targets. This is because you don't use smaller pellets at 6yds, so the pellets holes are bigger (in proportion to the target) at 6yds than at 10m. So at 6yds a pellet that hits exactly half way between 8 and 9 ring is scored as a 9 because it breaks the 9 ring, but at 10m it doesn't quite break the 9 so is scored as an 8.

So, is there a rule of thumb for how much harder it is to shoot at 10m? What should I expect on my first session on a proper range?

U.

Good Question

Hi, thats a question I have pondered myself.
    Dont know the answer, suppose it depends where you hit.

Anyone care to explain

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The 6m targets are probably a good indicator actually from my own experience - as I took up formal 10m target pistol shooting in late July and my UBC scores were a fair comparison with what I could shoot at the time.
    Yes, the smaller gaps will be more forgiving - but using a blunderbuss .22 will be even more so......I'd love my club target holes to be 25% bigger

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)

Or .....

...when you increase the range, why not go up a calibre (or two).

Try the 10m stuff with a .22 HW45 to start with and then, if things are not going so well, progress to .25

On a slightly more serious note, I don't know the answer. Never tried air pistols at 10M. But I would be interested to find out how you find the experience.

Let us know how you get on (please)

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

From the results we get at the club when a shooter steps up from 6yds to 10m, the average normally dips down 10 out of 200.
    Once the shooter gets used to the distance the average soon starts to climb again.
    Regards
    Bob

I have been doing 6 meter and 10 meter for a couple of weeks and I find both pretty difficult. I am using a proper target pistol and I am hitting 4 inch groups However with a .22lr Hammerli at 50 meters, I am hitiing about 12 inch groups, with the odd flyer.

Air pistol shooting is in my opinion very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by conor1 View Post
    Air pistol shooting is in my opinion very difficult.
    Pistols are a bit of an acquired taste. With a .177 3ft/lbs CO2 pistol fitted with a red-dot sight I can hit a Coke can 30 yards away, with the odd miss. Something like an anatomical target pistol on a 10 metre range I'll struggle with.

It's easier to guess the elevation on a large target like the can than it is to keep a pistol perfectly steady, and focus on the sights/target at short range.

This may be a daft response but it may help.
    If at 6yds (5.5m approx) you hit 5mm away from your intended aim point then at 10m you are going to hit approx 9mm away. If 1mm away, at 10m you are 1.8mm away approx.

Very simplistic (assumes pellet goes in a straight line etc) and makes a lot of assumptions but may give a rough guide.
    Cheers, Phil

I can only reply shooting air rifle and at 10m I have an average of 286, at 6 yard it is 297!! 6 yard is defiantly easier! ;-) My problem is twice now I have done 29 bulls and the last one was a 9! grrrrr

r

I can only relate to rifle shooting using NSRA 5 bull 6yd & 5 bull strip 10mtr isu targets.

The last time I shot 10mtr was the first round of the Welsh open four years ago, my score was 572 ex 600. I was ill at the time so did not shoot the second round & have not shot 10mtr since also due to ill health.

My club 6yd scores averaged 598 ex 600. All I can say is 10mtr rifle is lots more difficult than 6yd.

I know many good 6yd shooters capable of hitting 590 but struggle to shoot 540 at 10mtrs.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    This may be a daft response but it may help.
    If at 6yds (5.5m approx) you hit 5mm away from your intended aim point then at 10m you are going to hit approx 9mm away. If 1mm away, at 10m you are 1.8mm away approx.

Very simplistic (assumes pellet goes in a straight line etc) and makes a lot of assumptions but may give a rough guide.
    Cheers, Phil
    this is a good response. the same applies to going from 10m to 20yd as i do.even though the targets are again proportionately sized. my average dips slightly on the 20yd targets as any error in sighting or technique is amplified and more apparent. by the way are you shooting pistol or rifle??
    Last edited by jonyb; 08-10-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: additional question
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

I'm shooting pistol - otherwise my 527 last weekend wouldn't have made me happy! (Twinmaster Top if anyone cares)

U

10m definitely harder. The 10 and 9 is roughly the same size as a 6yd target.

My PB ex 300 for 10m is 277. For 6yd it's 295.

I find that 6yd is good exercise for concentration and pressure, because it's not really about hitting 10's, it's more about not hitting them all the time.

I have never hit a possible 50/50 in 10m, in 6yd I have seen several.

6 mtr to 10 mtr

I use 6 mtr recognized targets at home and using the same pistol, Feinwerkbau 100, my 10 mtr shooting is not as close as 6 mtr probably because I practice 6 mtr at home more. But even at 6 mtr I have bad days, when I have my breathing and site on the right place on a 6 mtr target I know it will be near the bull or at least be consistent with other shots. At 10 mtr I use the same breathing aiming technique's as I do at 6 mtr because I know it works for me. I have to practice 10 mtr as much as I use 6 mtr to judge any difference in the target distance. As far as I can tell I do not think 10 mtr shooting would be much different to 6 mtr.

John