Thread: Weihrauch HW45 Grips

tomgriffin is offline I just have the empty tin...

Weihrauch HW45 Grips

Hi all,

Today I received a HW45 .177 with a spare .25 cal barrel, my only problem with the pistol are the grips They are Pachmayr grips but I think they are for a different pistol

So I am after some original grips for the HW45, either the plastic or wooden grips will do

All the best,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomgriffin; 09-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?
    We Are Tottenham! Super Tottenham! We Are Tottenham From The Lane!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I'm led to believe colt .45 grips will fit and there are some quite nice one's on evilbay for around a tenner if you can't find any originals...

Yeah, it's not like you're missing much. The original wooden ones for your HW45 (IIRC quite old) are comfortable enough for me, but IMO quite fugly. The newer stock ones are quite nice-looking in comparison.

The Pachmayr is probably the most common replacement. What don't you like about them? They seem about as good as another relatively cheap replacement, the Hogue rubber. Quite different in look and feel, but I wouldn't say either is the worse. I have all the common HW45 replacement grips here. If looks and feel are paramount, I'd definitely go for the Beeman exotic hardwood combat grips: they are a bargain for what they are and fit and feel and look wonderful.

The only slight niggle I have with the Pachmayrs is they are "universal" for the Colt 1911A1 and I guess there are some versions that need a slightly larger cutout on the right side for the (I think) safety. On the HW45 this manifests as a small gap in the frame that isn't covered by the grip (cover with black vinyl tape). The Hogues and Beemans don't leave this gap. The Hogues give a very tactical look, I think they look great with the bluish-grey coloring of the original HW45s...may look a little stark for some, but function well.
    Last edited by cfraser; 09-10-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
    Yeah, it's not like you're missing much. The original wooden ones for your HW45 (IIRC quite old) are comfortable enough for me, but IMO quite fugly. The newer stock ones are quite nice-looking in comparison.

The Pachmayr is probably the most common replacement. What don't you like about them? They seem about as good as another relatively cheap replacement, the Hogue rubber. Quite different in look and feel, but I wouldn't say either is the worse. I have all the common HW45 replacement grips here. If looks and feel are paramount, I'd definitely go for the Beeman exotic hardwood combat grips: they are a bargain for what they are and fit and feel and look wonderful.

The only slight niggle I have with the Pachmayrs is they are "universal" for the Colt 1911A1 and I guess there are some versions that need a slightly larger cutout on the right side for the (I think) safety. On the HW45 this manifests as a small gap in the frame that isn't covered by the grip (cover with black vinyl tape). The Hogues and Beemans don't leave this gap. The Hogues give a very tactical look, I think they look great with the bluish-grey coloring of the original HW45s...may look a little stark for some, but function well.
    Hi cfraser,

I think the problem with them is that they look too small for the pistol, and just feel very uncomfortable to me but I will try and get on with them for a week, then I will look elsewhere for alternatives I might even try and make some wooden ones ....Any idea how much the ones usually supplied are new or second hand?

I dont really want to spend a fortune on some grips as it is just used for plinking in the garden

Can anyone tell me how old my HW45 is? The serial number is: 352131 ....I have also noticed the pistol has two 6mm holes tapped into the base of the pistol grip frame, any idea what these are for?

All the best,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomgriffin; 10-10-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomgriffin View Post
    Hi cfraser,

I think the problem with them is that they look too small for the pistol, and just feel very uncomfortable to me but I will try and get on with them for a week, then I will look elsewhere for alternatives I might even try and make some wooden ones ....Any idea how much the ones usually supplied are new or second hand?

I dont really want to spend a fortune on some grips as it is just used for plinking in the garden

Can anyone tell me how old my HW45 is? The serial number is: 352131 ....I have also noticed the pistol has two 6mm holes tapped into the base of the pistol grip frame, any idea what these are for?

All the best,
    Tom
    I don't know about the cost of the Weihrauch grips as spares, never seen them but I'm sure they're available as parts. Also there's similar slabs for the 1911A1 in plastic/rubber/wood. I don't recall the Pachmayr grips being uncomfortable...but then, a grip has to be REALLY bad before I complain (Crosman 22xx pistols for example). Most people seem to choose a replacement grip with finger grooves. If your hands are very large you may not like the finger grooves, and perhaps some thicker slabs would feel better.

As far as the grips looking small: that's how they are for the 1911. Maybe try Hogue next. I slightly prefer their rubber over the Pachmayr's vinyl, they're more utility-looking, maybe better for the garden, but I wouldn't say they're functionally "better" than Pachmayr. I really don't notice much size difference in all the HW45 grips I have, my hands are medium. I have heard that some people with smaller hands prefer the Pachmayr, so maybe they really are a bit smaller...

I got my Pachmayr and Hogue grips in the U.S., $12-18 each. Hundreds of types there. Not many cheaper than the Pachmayr.

I think we figured HW45s started at #350000 in late 1985. So yours would be 1985/86 vintage most likely. I do not have any 6mm holes in the bottom of the grip frame of my oldest HW45 (it's ~86/87, #354xxx), just a single smaller one for a trigger adjustment. 6mm is pretty large for there...could they have been for a DIY stock??

I don't know about the cost of the Weihrauch grips as spares, never seen them but I'm sure they're available as parts. Also there's similar slabs for the 1911A1 in plastic/rubber/wood. I don't recall the Pachmayr grips being uncomfortable...but then, a grip has to be REALLY bad before I complain (Crosman 22xx pistols for example). Most people seem to choose a replacement grip with finger grooves. If your hands are very large you may not like the finger grooves, and perhaps some thicker slabs would feel better.

As far as the grips looking small: that's how they are for the 1911. Maybe try Hogue next. I slightly prefer their rubber over the Pachmayr's vinyl, they're more utility-looking, maybe better for the garden, but I wouldn't say they're functionally "better" than Pachmayr. I really don't notice much size difference in all the HW45 grips I have, my hands are medium. I have heard that some people with smaller hands prefer the Pachmayr, so maybe they really are a bit smaller...

I got my Pachmayr and Hogue grips in the U.S., $12-18 each. Hundreds of types there. Not many cheaper than the Pachmayr.

I think we figured HW45s started at #350000 in late 1985. So yours would be 1985/86 vintage most likely. I do not have any 6mm holes in the bottom of the grip frame of my oldest HW45 (it's ~86/87, #354xxx), just a single smaller one for a trigger adjustment. 6mm is pretty large for there...could they have been for a DIY stock??
    I think I will take a look on the net to see if I can source some originals But I will eventually try and make some ....I am very fussy about grips, it has to suit my shooting technique or I loose confidence, and I prefer anatomical grips but I bet I would have to pay mega bucks for a set so its not really worth it!?

I think you are right about the holes in the bottom of the frame and they have been tapped, when I make the grip I will try and cover these holes unless I make a carbine stock aswell .......I was told this was bought when they first came out, but didn't realise they have been produced for this long The bloomin' thing is older than me

Well I dont think I did too badly for getting this pistol (.177), scope, pellets and a spare .25 cal barrel for £70 posted ......

Thanks for your help guys,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomgriffin; 10-10-2008 at 08:45 PM.

^ That's a decent price for sure. You sure that's not a .22 barrel? .25 would really suck IMO in this gun...

Grips are personal, nobody can tell you, that's why I bought a bunch to try them. Sounds like you'd like the HW45 Silver Star grip, much more "anatomical" (won't fit your gun). If you end up liking your gun, maybe the SS could be a future choice. No wooden anatomical grip is cheap these days.

If the gun was mine, I'd put 6mm grub screws in the tapped holes. I always do that...keeps crap out and looks more finished. I hate tapped holes for attachments I don't have...

^ That's a decent price for sure. You sure that's not a .22 barrel? .25 would really suck IMO in this gun...

Grips are personal, nobody can tell you, that's why I bought a bunch to try them. Sounds like you'd like the HW45 Silver Star grip, much more "anatomical" (won't fit your gun). If you end up liking your gun, maybe the SS could be a future choice. No wooden anatomical grip is cheap these days.

If the gun was mine, I'd put 6mm grub screws in the tapped holes. I always do that...keeps crap out and looks more finished. I hate tapped holes for attachments I don't have...
    It is definately a .25, apparently the original owner (the guy I bought the pistol from) only had the option of either a .177, .22 or .25 so he opted for a .177 and a spare .25 barrel

I haven't tried the .25 cal barrel and probably never will....I much prefer .177 .....Again I agree about the hole situation, hopefully we have some grub screws at work

All the best,
    Tom

I have the Pachmayr wrap-around finger groove grip on my HW45. As Craig mentioned, there is a small notch in the front right side of the grip. This notch is for the mag release button. I used black tape to cover it up.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/airpics7/HW45b.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/airpics7/HW45a.jpg

Cheers,
    Todd

I recently bought a set of Pachmayr and Hogue grips from Midway's UK website. I probably paid more than I would have done direct from the US but there were no hassles. I tried both and kept the Hogue as it suited my small hands better. The Pachmayr sold here in seven minutes....

There used to be an official shoulder stock for the HW45 so I suspect the holes in yours are to take that.

Jonathan

You can get the grips for the 45 from Chamberseach grip cost just over £30.00 plus post

The original stock fitted with a single bracket fitted by the two grip screws. Used to have one. Now have a Ginb stock which Antonio kindly designed and made for me.