Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action screws

Action screws

I recently sent off to the good old USA for some allen/hex headed action screws for my .22LR CZ Varmint. Paid by paypal they took 5 days to arrive, I also bought a silicon bolt spring from the same company J&P custom products LLC. I fitted the screws, they match the standard trigger guard well and appear high quality, they made using my in lb torque wrench easy with no fear of slipping as with a normal screw, CZ's seem sensitive to screw tension. The bolt spring is apparently 10% stiffer than OEM, though I have not fired the gun yet, dry firing somehow seems crisper. all in all good products.

There are a plethora of comments re the above on RFC.
    AA S410K:Cardew modified Mk1 HW80 4mmTP, barrel shortened no choke Venom Tyrolean stock Titan Accelerator spring, TbT top hat & guide :CZ 16"bbl .22LR Varmint:12bore MOB O/U: Webley 812 auto:.308 Surgeon/Border barrel by Dave Wylde now Valkyrie Rifles BASC/NRA

where from please

I've just read a book on gunsmithing by a gunsmith who actually replaces hex-head screws with slot heads wherever he finds them. The problem with hex heads are as follows:

1) Poor quality steel in bolt head
    2) Poor dimensional tolerances in bolt head
    3) Poor dimensional tolerances in hex key
    4) Wrong allen key used in hole

Any of the above could lead to the edges being taken off the hex hole meaning the screw has to be drilled out. Drilling out is a very precise job requiring a special jig to get the precise alignment. It was enough to put me off hex heads anyway.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Nice one... the company is J&P Custom products http://www.jnpgunsprings.com/ have a look at Rimfire Central there is a long thread relating ; for me this company addresses all the problems that Chris St. MH lists though I have the products that he untried dismissess out of hand.
    AA S410K:Cardew modified Mk1 HW80 4mmTP, barrel shortened no choke Venom Tyrolean stock Titan Accelerator spring, TbT top hat & guide :CZ 16"bbl .22LR Varmint:12bore MOB O/U: Webley 812 auto:.308 Surgeon/Border barrel by Dave Wylde now Valkyrie Rifles BASC/NRA

Only buy good quality allen screws, not those made of chewing gum metal

Decent versions cost a lot more but are high tensile, and when used with a good quality allen key (again not El cheapo rubbish) will be far less likely to cause any damage

Screws are fine as long as people use either a proper "Turnscrew" or at least good quality hollow ground bits, again avoid the huge sets available for a few quid and buy the best available such as by Snap-on, they will last forever anyway
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Only buy good quality allen screws, not those made of chewing gum metal

Decent versions cost a lot more but are high tensile, and when used with a good quality allen key (again not El cheapo rubbish) will be far less likely to cause any damage

Screws are fine as long as people use either a proper "Turnscrew" or at least good quality hollow ground bits, again avoid the huge sets available for a few quid and buy the best available such as by Snap-on, they will last forever anyway
    I agree with the above , I use an inch pound torque wrench ie lever type as opposed to a torque driver allen/hex heads are easier to torque accuratly I would have difficulty avoiding scratches with a turnscrew let alone screwdriver bit...

I had a set from the chap who does the trigger jobs - Eric Brooks - and they seem fine.

I've got Eric's screws on my brno and my cz hmr.

They're much easier to remove with a good quality allen key rather than trying the old screws with an inappropriate screw driver.

Keep the old ones in case you decide to buy some lovely snap on drivers.
    slow is smooth smooth is fast

I used a set from Eric, then matched them form engineers supplies, good quality and with a decent allen key or bit you wont get any problems
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

I belive the Brooks screws are made by Derek Niles however I went for the P&J Custom Products ones as Eric Brooks deliveries are at best inconsistent...
    At 60 inch lbs stronger.
    Last edited by palace; 21-07-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Update on the bolt spring for my CZ .22lr Varmint from tJ&P Custom products http://www.jnpgunsprings.com/ that I bought & started this thread.
    Went to the farm to day with my 13 year old son (he uses my AA S410) I sighted in before I started to shoot, last time out I was shooting 300 yards at the range, needed adjustments. At 50 yds prior to fitting the spring a nats under 1/2" 5 shot group today 1/4" to 3/16" might be me but the CZ felt crisper, possible quicker lock time, though I usualy work in hours not milliseconds so cant say for sure.
    All in all money well spent.

I bought a set from Eric Brooks for my 17HMR but never got round to fitting them, sold it recently and bought a .22 Varmint. I've ground one bolt down and they fit, the finish is a mat grey and matches the Cz trigger guard. I found the standard Cz screws had very thin slots and were easy to chew up, infact my rifle was brand new but one of the screw heads was marked slightly (a blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it though, it wasn't much of a mark)

At £60 to £70 each these are not cheap, but in the end are worth it.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    At £60 to £70 each these are not cheap, but in the end are worth it.

Neil
    I quite agree, however they are not torque wrenches and action screws on CZ's need torquing to be consistant...

Quote Originally Posted by palace View Post
    I quite agree, however they are not torque wrenches and action screws on CZ's need torquing to be consistant...
    Not if they are properly bedded on pillars
    And bedding three rifles is much cheaper than paying out for a torque driver (yes i'm cheap)
    I think the J&P screws and spring are well worth the money.
    And for the nay sayers, a rounded off cheap allen bolt is much easier to drill out then a slotted screw, and no special jig is needed

Neil.