Thread: New HW45 Questions

New HW45 Questions

I've just bought a HW45, I'm new to springer pistols and have a few questions.
    I'm having a problem zeroing it, I've fitted a Hawke red dot sport and after a fair bit of shooting yesterday seemed to get a reasonable grouping using jsb exact. Today my son used the gun and found it way out, he re zeroed and was plinking way for about 45 mins. We used the gun again this afternoon and it seemed to be all over the place again.

My question are:
    1. Does it take a while to bed a new gun in?
    2. Because my son and I are new using a springer pistol do we just need a lot of practice. [The guns ok we are just out!]?
    3. Could the kick from the HW45 be throwing the red dot out?
    4. Will my sons young eyes and my old eyes sight the target differently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not hitting much but having a lot of Fun.

Jon

hw45

new spring pistol will need time to bed in.
    different shooter = different hold = different poi
    if your holding technique is even a bit different from last shot = different poi
    spring pistols need lots of practise to get good at
    don't get disheartened, just keep shooting it and learn it
    Mand

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    I'm having a problem zeroing it, I've fitted a Hawke red dot sport and after a fair bit of shooting yesterday seemed to get a reasonable grouping using jsb exact. Today my son used the gun and found it way out, he re zeroed and was plinking way for about 45 mins. We used the gun again this afternoon and it seemed to be all over the place again.

My question are:
    2. Because my son and I are new using a springer pistol do we just need a lot of practice. [The guns ok we are just out!]?

Jon

First let say that's one fine pistol you've invested in. Good choice.
    So you got your new top quality pistol and it don't do what we want it to, ie hit the friggin' target.

I'm sure the issue is from inconsistent hold. There is a contradiction here, it's a heavy pistol but, you need to hold it lightly

Try and get the hold as if you were holding a small hammer to drive in a tack.
    When the shot breaks, let it ride for the perceived recoil. The lighter you can have your grip the better, I trust at this stage you're using two handed hold? Most of the hold should be from the strong hand and the weak hand just giving support. about 70% & 30%.

Don't start too far from your target, far better to get used to shooting at 5mt and then increase the distance one meter at a time as your confidence grows. If you start to tire take a break for 10mins.

You got a great pistol there, so hang in and it will come right for you and your lad.

Oh yes, there's every chance his eyes are better than yours. Like many of us old gits on here the eyes ain't as good as they once were.

Good luck, Phil

thinking of buying the hw45!
    Pistols far easier to hide from the wife!
    How good is the hw45?
    Umarex 850 magnum,Anics beretta(a9000),Umarex smith and wesson 568 6"( cos it's enough LOL),weihrauch hw45,umarex beretta 92fs

It's Good

Quote Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe View Post
    thinking of buying the hw45!
    Pistols far easier to hide from the wife!
    How good is the hw45?
    I've only had mine a week and I must have put 2 tins of pellets through it, I can't put the thing down. I'm totally new to air pistols [I did have a GAT about 40 yrs ago] and did a lot of research prior to buying. I didn't want a co2 gun but I was looking at the HW75 pcp. Then I started reading the reviews and comments on here for the HW45, Powerful, very accurate [in the right hands] and I whole lot of fun. Well it's fun and powerful & I need a lot of practice.

Jon

great gun.

i found it's easier to get a repeatable hold firing one handed - tricky at 1st but after a while much easier that two handed - i.m.o.

i hold it quite light with most of the grip but a little tighter with the finger right below the trigger.
    also keep your trigger finger from rubbing against the side of the gun. it should pull straight back too, not to one side.

keep at it.

great pistol

these pistols are great. I havnt got one but im going to get one. I've shot someone elses =]
    AA S400 Classic GinB, Gamo Delta, HW45 .177 =] ASI Sniper .22

My question are:

Jon
    My Take on your questions:

1. I have 2 of these guns, one in .22 the other in .177, they do take a bit of time to settle down, the .22 is about 7 or 8 years old now, shoots really well, the .177 is less than a year, and took me a couple of tins of pellets and constant re-zeroing to get it bedded in properly.

2. You will need to practice to get a consistent hold, I use an isoceles hold, right arm straight, with right hand holding the grip very lightly, left hand covering the right hand, pulling back on the grip forming a triangle on the left side. Once you get it right, you'll be able to re-create this hold every time.

3. Don't know about the red dot, I use the open sights, they work well for me.

4. I would suggest it's more about differences in the way you hold the gun, the most important thing is allowing the gun to recoil in your hand freely.

Hope this helps

PMarshall

My question are:

Jon
    I ghusss I'm late again, LOL. I've got a lovely mint condition .22 hw45 for sale, don't suppose you would be intrested in it or anyone? Pm me.

You need consistent hold.
    S m o o t h, consistent trigger squeeze.
    No flinching or "death twitch".
    Don't try to aim at the bull, aim for an area on the target and accept your holding circle, rather than trying for a bull every time.

All far easier said than done.
    Lots of practice; think about and analyse what you are doing wrong (and right)

Eventually, it will click.

Good article here:
    http://www.pilkguns.com/anatoli2.shtml
    Also many other good pistol articles on Pilkguns website.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

My thoughts onthe HW45:
    A proper handful, shooting it accurately can become an obsession
    Grip
    Some say light I find a firm hold is needed to prevent dragging it off target while triggering. Must be consistant.
    Aim
    I concentate on the end sight keeping it fixed on the target or my mind wanders to the trigger uasually ending up with a low shot.
    Ammo
    Find a brand that works well and stick to it.

Loads and loads of practice, a must

I find firing the odd cigerette filter backed up by a pellet is necessary to maintain good groups.
    Ive had loads of good shooting with mine just recently been overhauled by UK Neil and its spot on. I may sell it to help fund my Daystate project.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Two Handed or One?

Hi
    I have two of these great pistols, the comments above about having a loose grip are spot on. i think that it is best to practice both type of lose hold, single and double, when you have decided the one you prefer then set up the sights using that grip. If you need to use single and double grip then get two HW45's (the wife believed that excuse). I find I can swop from single to double grip on my CO2's without adjusting the sights, but not with the HW45's. But I still prefer shooting the 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by treebeard View Post
    Hi
    I have two of these great pistols, the comments above about having a loose grip are spot on. i think that it is best to practice both type of lose hold, single and double, when you have decided the one you prefer then set up the sights using that grip. If you need to use single and double grip then get two HW45's (the wife believed that excuse). I find I can swop from single to double grip on my CO2's without adjusting the sights, but not with the HW45's. But I still prefer shooting the 45's.
    What a great idea
    me not being able to afford 2 of them have found a method that works one handed or two without adjusting the sights.

My supporting hand supports my wrist only, does not come in contact with any part of the pistol as this changes the POI. Works for me.
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Two best

Two are still best, one is a .22" (great for cans & spinners) the other is .177" for when you need to test yourself.
    Rob

i really want a hw45 as long as it is in .177
    AA S400 Classic GinB, Gamo Delta, HW45 .177 =] ASI Sniper .22