Thread: shooting safety glasses

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

shooting safety glasses

I am going to purchase a pair of shooting safety glasses but need a bit of guidance. What is with the different colour lenses. I realise the different colours assist in varying light conditions but what conditions and colours I know not!
    Help please. I suppose an ideal would be glasses frames with interchangable colour lenses? Ideas?
    Thanks
    Alan

I think in general terms that the following applies:

Clear lenses - normal light conditions with no direct sun
    Yellow lenses - low light conditions
    Polarized lenses - high sunlight reduce glare

Not too sure on any others but if you aim to shoot over all the main conditions then interchangeable lenses may be the best option for you.

Glasses

Thanks for that sharpshooter. Quick response. Now I need to find a set with interchangeable lens. At least then I know I should be in with a chance of getting it right. All I need now is to practice till I hit something
    Alan

Just found these, look good to me
    http://cgi.############/Ducks-Unlimi...asses-Hunting-
    Looks like I cant put a link up to that site. It is the most commonly used auction site. Sorry if I tried to do something I wasnt supposed to!!
    Alan

When i used to airsoft last year a good place that provided good safety glasses with different lenses was B&Q. The safety glasses you wear when operating nail guns will more than suffice against a stray pellet, they did when i used them anyway.

Screwfix !
    Making waves since 1971.

If you've got a Decathlon Sports nearby, they were doing some nice looking Oakley type safety glasses with interchangeable lenses included for around twelve quid with different frame styles and colours.

As I recall, they were somewhere near the fishing section in my local store - have a look around.

shooting glasses

Thankyou very much everyone. I must say I didnt expect so many replies in so short a space of time. Thanks for all your assistance
    Alan

Smoke, Gray and Gray-Green tints - The most common type of lens colour. They are effective at blocking glare without changing colour perception, making them a good choice for all-weather use. Gray is a neutral, or "true," colour that allows the wearer to see all colours as they are. Gray shooting lenses do not enhance the target, but they are good in bright sunlight.

Amber-Brown lens tints - Especially good at blocking the blue light commonly found in diffused light such as one might experience on a cloudy day. Amber can improve both contrast and depth perception, and is a good all-around choice for shooting or hunting.

Yellow or Orange tints - Improve contrast and give a sensation of heightened visual acuity. So-called "Driving" lenses are usually amber or yellow-brown. Lenses in these colours block haze and blue light and enhance the orange colour of the target. The brighter yellow the lens colour is, the better it is for use at night.

Purple-Vermillion tints - A light purple colour, which is actually a combination of a neutral gray and a vermilion, is good for enhancing the orange of the target against a background of tall trees. Vermilion itself is useful to highlight conditions where there is poor background, such as trees, and to enhance the target against the background. If you haven't shot with purple or vermillion tint glasses, it does take some getting use to.

Hope this helps

atvb

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.