Thread: Hammerli Information request

Hammerli Information request

I would appreciate some help from those members who are knowledgeable about Hammerli side lever air rifles. One has come in to my possession and I'm struggling a bit to positively identify it.

The rifle is a 0.177" full size side lever action, it's 44" long and weighs a little over 8lb 10 ozs. On the under side of the barrel, is what appears to be a barrel weight - this "weight" is approximately the same diameter as the barrel and stops about 4" short of the barrel length where it is clamped direct to the barrel. The front sight is housed in a tubular protector. The stock differs from some Hammerli rifles I've seen which are sharply angled at the front, this one is conventionally rounded.

The rifle identification stampings are as follows: Cal 4.5/.177. Made in Germany on the left side loading port housing. MOD 4 HS 03 on the forward left side of the cylinder. What I assume is the serial number (23641) is positioned at the left side rear of the cylinder. Hammerli is stamped on the top of the rifle just forward of the rear sight.

I've taken photographs as the rifle will be sold at some point but I'd like to know more about it first.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's a model 4, which was made in the early 1970s and is the model from which the more modern 400 series was developed. The Model 4 had the underbarrel weight, and a micro-adjustable rearsight, while the Model 3 I have has a crudely adjustable notch. They are very similar to the 400 series, with the exception that the Model 4 barrel inserts above the centre-line of the compression chamber, while the 400 series has it centrally. The 400 series includes the 401 (micro-adjustable open sights), the 402 (no ironsights), the target version 403 and the 420 Military trainer.

They were sold with the underbarrel weight as target rifles, but can be used (at less than 30m) as sporting rifles, the power being about 8 ft/lbs.

They have very nice triggers, on a par with the Anschutz 335 and nearly as nice as the Weihrauch Rekord unit, although not as robust.

Recently the BBS yielded that some of these Model 4s (there was a Model 3 and a Model 10 which are nearly identicle) have trigger units which lack the sidelever safety anti-beartrap mechanism.

They are extremely sweet-shooting and extremely accurate, the trigger being very smooth and precises owing to its long levers, and also the barrels are some of the best every fitted to a spring powered air-rifle. They are also some of the only recoilling tap-loaders that are actually MORE accurate than most of the top-quality break-barrels of the time.

The main weaknesses are the tiny allen-headed bolts holding the trigger unit on, which must be kept tight, but not so thight that they shear. If the trigger unit gets a little loose, the stamped steel sear will wear out. The side-leaver can start to bend near the hinge, so be gentle when cocking it and don't 'slam' it open. The strange ball-and-V-spring sidelever catch has worn out on my Model 3 and I am replacing it with a brass catch from Robert Dyas, like one would use on a small cupboard.

The mainsprings are still available from Chambers, although I heard that a HW77 spring will fit; this might get a little more power out of it. The mainspring is possibly the longest spring ever fitted to a rifle, at about 15" before fitting. The spring guides are very tight on the spring, and the rifle discharges very suddenly and without any twang.

Hammerli ought to have developed this rifle but must have decided to concentrate on pistols and firearms, and the design hevily influenced the Sussex Armoury Jackal range, the company which eventually became Air Arms.

Do a search on Hammerli, there is a bit of other info about.

Keep the rifle, they are nice shooters, simple and spares can be made up by any competent engineer. One thing to note is that they have wide 13mm scope grooves, which means you have to get some from an old Weihrauch or get some modified to fit.

Hope this is of some use.

Hammerli

Absolutely brilliant - thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Hope this is of some use.
    Once again HS you have taught me something.

In the well used words of a fellow collector (and friend) on here, and what should be the motto of the Collectors Section:
    ' Every day is a school day'. !

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thumbs up

I had one of these from new in about 1971. Mine had open sights and no beartrap safety. Soon after I bought it it did indeed beartrap and had to be sent away for repair. Sounds as if it was the same era, mine had a rounded stock and some of the fittings were high quality plastic resin material. I have fond memories of it, at the time it was an accurate gun when most other sporting guns available were not as accurate. I did use it with great success in 6 yard competitions organised by the Air Rifle Clubs Association(later NARPA) during the early 1970's. It also served me well as a hunting weapon albeit no further than 40yds.
    Sold it to get a Feinwerkbau 300s in about 1973.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.