Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theoben Rapid more accurate when single loaded?

Theoben Rapid more accurate when single loaded?

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that my .22 FAC Rapid Mk2 is more accurate when single loaded -i.e. NOT using the magazine.
    Have any of you guys noticed this with your Rapids?

i have noticed the pellets squeezed slightly in the mag when in my hand,maybe a little too much pressure on the spring. that said mine is super accurate never noticed any probs. try another mag if you can borrow one

Interesting thougt, didn't even know you could get a single loading option.
    Do you think the mag's damaging the pellet somehow when it's loaded then ?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Think this is a bit of an urban myth i have not noticed any difference
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

i notice aa fields(softer) can get a squeeze. bis mags it has no effect on.you can use the loading tray from a mfr i think.is the magazine new or well used???

I have backed off the spring tension as much as possible in my magazines so they grip each pellet less tightly, but the pellets are getting a bit damaged. Certainly, if I push JSB clones (AA Fields or Daystate FTs) though the magazines with a pencil or similar, I can see marks on the edge of the heads and skirts. Harder pellets such as H&N Baracuda or Bismags don't seem to be effected as badly, but I prefer the flatter shooting JSBs.
    I think if the pellets are being damaged, the accuracy difference will only be evident over longer ranges -but that's when the wind steps in and confuses everything! Maybe someone has done some definitive long range testing in a wind free environment?

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    I have never noticed any diffrence with the mfr FAC .22 in single load or mag fed the accuracy is the same. Aslo in my mk2, no diffrence in single or mag fed in .25.

Becareful though, the loading probe is aliend perfectly with the pellet and the breech of the barrel so pellet is loaded properly, as out of aliement can distort the pellet and can cause accuracy problems at long ranges.
    Last edited by verminhunter; 16-10-2008 at 03:23 PM.

johnny k is offline Models mankinis for Ann Summers.

deffo

Quote Originally Posted by Chandlers View Post
    Interesting thougt, didn't even know you could get a single loading option.
    Do you think the mag's damaging the pellet somehow when it's loaded then ?
    I had two 0.20 mags for my mfr, the springs were wound so tight everytime it indexed the pellets had bent skirts. Took the mags to bits and unwound the tension and hey-presto no more bend skirts.
    Chinese springer 0.22, HW100 .177. Selection of powder burners
    When there were extra pies to eat, I avoided them.

I have noticed it very occasionally with .177 but not with .20 or .22. I suppose it is because the seventeen .177 pellets are crammed in a bit more making perfect rotation and probe alignment that bit more sensitive.
    The latest edition of the Rapid has a scalloped loading port a la MFR to enable easy single shot loading. Arguably it is a major improvement in the design of the Rapid receiver which doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.
    Single loading is more difficult with older Rapids but not impossible unless you have very fat fingers indeed.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that my .22 FAC Rapid Mk2 is more accurate when single loaded -i.e. NOT using the magazine.
    Have any of you guys noticed this with your Rapids?
    Yup, the accuracy deteriorates quite a bit when i use the mag. on my .177 MK1 Rapid, it's the new type so single loading is easy with the scalloped action. I use A.A.Fields and i think maybe the spring tension is too much and bending the skirts. It doesn't feel very smooth either when the probe pushes through the mag. so maybe something is not in line. I should get it looked at really otherwise it's a waste of £50. I know the rifle got it's name because of it's speed of reloading (or probably did) but compared to a mag. that is indexed by the gun it feels too fast and snappy. Also if you don't shoot all 17 i feel as though i have to empty it by hand so as not to leave the spring under pressure, rather than just take it out.
    Saying all that about the mag. the rifle is superb.
    Derek.

I stripped my .20 magazine to clean/service it,anyway when I re assembled it I set the tension so it wasnt as strong as it had been before.I suppose I only done it for piece of mind after reading a few posts on different forums regarding Rapids being more accurate when single fed.I also have the single shot loader but these are far to fiddly and awkward (I even managed to get a pellet which fell back down into the bolt into the action.I had to remove the trigger cartridge to get it out).I mostly use the magazine but if I have to single load now I just place the pellet straight in the barrel.

ps there is a sticky in the Technical section on the R7OC site showing how
    to strip and service the magazines.

Another reason why I like Eley Magnums at FAC levels in .22. They are solid and therefore not prone to distortion by the Rapid mag.

Lionel

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    As said before I always use my mags when out hunting and target shooting and always pleased with the results.
    I've never ever un-done my mags which are 6 years old and many thousands of pellets through them. All I do is wipe them clean with silicon spray and put them away.
    Why do people need to dismantel the mags i never know.

Quote Originally Posted by mickc View Post
    I stripped my .20 magazine to clean/service it,anyway when I re assembled it I set the tension so it wasnt as strong as it had been before.I suppose I only done it for piece of mind after reading a few posts on different forums regarding Rapids being more accurate when single fed.I also have the single shot loader but these are far to fiddly and awkward (I even managed to get a pellet which fell back down into the bolt into the action.I had to remove the trigger cartridge to get it out).I mostly use the magazine but if I have to single load now I just place the pellet straight in the barrel.

ps there is a sticky in the Technical section on the R7OC site showing how
    to strip and service the magazines.

I took my magazine apart tonight and reduced the spring tension one full turn (there's basically no preload on the spring at all now), guess what.. it's worked! The pellets don't get crushed now and accuracy is spot on .
    Thanks.
    Derek.

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter View Post
    As said before I always use my mags when out hunting and target shooting and always pleased with the results.
    I've never ever un-done my mags which are 6 years old and many thousands of pellets through them. All I do is wipe them clean with silicon spray and put them away.
    Why do people need to dismantel the mags i never know.
    to make them better costasto much spring pre load on the 12 and 17 shot mags,air arms pellets get distorted skirts all to easy with the pellets slaming into the pellet stop of the over sprung mags,i do all mine as a mater of course and for piece of mind

kevG