Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theoben Rapid more accurate when single loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by DEL67 View Post
    I took my magazine apart tonight and reduced the spring tension one full turn (there's basically no preload on the spring at all now), guess what.. it's worked! The pellets don't get crushed now and accuracy is spot on .
    Thanks.
    Derek.
    You need a bit of preload, or the mag won't index, but I get your point.
    I have unwound mine as far as they'll go, and I still get slightly deformed skirts when using soft pellets.
    Maybe it doesn't matter, and is not effecting the accuracy, but I'm striving to get the best out of BTAS / AWT Mk2. I've managed to get a couple of 100 yard 1MOA groups when single loaded in perfect conditions, and I just don't think it'll do that with the mags.
    Incidentally, it's got a BSA 19.5" choked barrel and I'm having that recrowned today by Dasherman to see if that helps?
    Last edited by Guesty; 19-10-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    You need a bit of preload, or the mag won't index, but I get your point.
    I have unwound mine as far as they'll go, and I still get slightly deformed skirts when using soft pellets.
    Maybe it doesn't matter, and is not effecting the accuracy, but I'm striving to get the best out of BTAS / AWT Mk2. I've managed to get a couple of 100 yard 1MOA groups when single loaded in perfect conditions, and I just don't it'll do that with the mags.
    Incidentally, it's got a BSA 19.5" choked barrel and I'm having that recrowned today by Dasherman to see if that helps?
    There is just enough preload to index the last pellet and the accuracy was only tested at 30 yards, certainly not 100! groups with soft A.A.Fields was about an inch but now by reducing the preload one full turn it's tight clover leafs. I still find myself loading pellets by hand just to be on the safe side but atleast i know i can use the mag. for sensible hunting ranges if i wish.
    An inch at 100 yards is very impressive, you must have a very steady hand, head, body, everything etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DEL67 View Post
    SNIP
    An inch at 100 yards is very impressive, you must have a very steady hand, head, body, everything etc.
    Heh, I wish!
    No, it was near perfect conditions with a bench, rest, wind flags, decent 24x scope, and quality pellets.

Well, the barrel is now recrowned, and I tested it today to find it shoots exactly the same!
    I tested at 35 yards indoor, and the rifle still shoots the same 'little fingernail' sized 5 shot groups with AA Field, Daystate FT and H&N Baracuda when single loaded, and the groups of the AA and Daystate open marginally when using the mags.
    So, it looks like I might change over to Baracuda pellets, but I wanted the flat trajectory, so will have to up the power from 30ft/lb to 40ft/lb.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Well, the barrel is now recrowned, and I tested it today to find it shoots exactly the same!
    I tested at 35 yards indoor, and the rifle still shoots the same 'little fingernail' sized 5 shot groups with AA Field, Daystate FT and H&N Baracuda when single loaded, and the groups of the AA and Daystate open marginally when using the mags.
    So, it looks like I might change over to Baracuda pellets, but I wanted the flat trajectory, so will have to up the power from 30ft/lb to 40ft/lb.

You dont need 40ftlb so throw that out of the window, trust me been there done it. 32-34ftlb with a 21.3 bis mag will give you the best groups out at 70yds with serous knock down power, any more and accuracy will suffer unless you move over to bullit heads but then you have to get the probe sorted out, bullits are also expensive to buy and for what? what are you gonna do that a bis mag running at around 830-850 fps aint ...... nothing, shooting out to the max on FAC air 80yds and a 33ftlb rapid with a bis mag still blows a hole through the bunnies bonc so, and a much better air economy and less stress on the rifle.

Same here with aa jsb etc, but have just gone to field target trophy 15.10 grains and put a drop of pellet lube in.

I cannot believe the difference, one hole groups, flat shooting in fac at 30 ish ft/lb. getting groups as tight as bisley mags with 16 inch barrel old gamo triggered mk i. happy now. john. ps. the pellet lube may just have been a coincident as was trying every thing i could lay my hands on(FRUSTRATION SPRINGS TO MIND) Havn/t changed / checked my spring tenshion, thats the next job.
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter View Post
    You dont need 40ftlb so throw that out of the window, trust me been there done it. 32-34ftlb with a 21.3 bis mag will give you the best groups out at 70yds with serous knock down power, any more and accuracy will suffer unless you move over to bullit heads but then you have to get the probe sorted out, bullits are also expensive to buy and for what? what are you gonna do that a bis mag running at around 830-850 fps aint ...... nothing, shooting out to the max on FAC air 80yds and a 33ftlb rapid with a bis mag still blows a hole through the bunnies bonc so, and a much better air economy and less stress on the rifle.
    I don't fancy moving over to bullet heads and really high power as it would ricochet just like my .22LR.
    I didn't realise that Baracuda accuracy dropped at 40ft/lb? I once had a Career that spat them at 1018fps average, 50ft/lb, but never did any serious long range accuracy testing.

A good die batch of pellets helps to. I've aquired a few tins of a particularly good jsb variant that work in mine.

Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    A good die batch of pellets helps to. I've aquired a few tins of a particularly good jsb variant that work in mine.

Neil

Yeah right!
    And my name's bill.
    Its your barrel neil that needs a good look in.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    I don't fancy moving over to bullet heads and really high power as it would ricochet just like my .22LR.
    I didn't realise that Baracuda accuracy dropped at 40ft/lb? I once had a Career that spat them at 1018fps average, 50ft/lb, but never did any serious long range accuracy testing.
    It is all a question of pellet shape. Diabolo shaped pellets apparently start to tumble above a certain MV. Keeping Baracudas to around 850 ft sec (34 ft lb in .22) seems to optimise accuracy. If you use 30 -or even 40-grain bullet heads you suffer air inefficiency and gain very little in terms of effective killing range. The more I shoot FAC air rifles the more I am convinced that power levels above 35 ft lb in .22 are a complete waste of everything really. Rimfire is the tool of choice if that is where you need to be power-wise.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    It is all a question of pellet shape. Diabolo shaped pellets apparently start to tumble above a certain MV. Keeping Baracudas to around 850 ft sec (34 ft lb in .22) seems to optimise accuracy. If you use 30 -or even 40-grain bullet heads you suffer air inefficiency and gain very little in terms of effective killing range. The more I shoot FAC air rifles the more I am convinced that power levels above 35 ft lb in .22 are a complete waste of everything really. Rimfire is the tool of choice if that is where you need to be power-wise.

Spoken like a true Spartan (bubble that is)

Early mags can be drilled carefully with a 0.6mm drill bit to provided extra anchoring points and less spring tension.

Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

jezer

Been having a spot of bother whith my rapid 177 fac.it will group lead on lead for about half the mag but throws off the other half at random.is it easy to adjust the tension on the mags.i dont wont the old loosen a screw and springs go all over the place sindroam.anny more tips to solve this problem apreciated.JEZ

There's only one spring inside Jezer. First off to check that it has no more pretension than one turn for a starter. If you are still getting flyers, the back of the mag can be drilled to provide more anchor points and lower spring tension. You will probably need a bit of tension otherwise the inner rotor may not go back to zero as there can be tension applied from the perspex cover. I can do some snaps tomorrow night if required.
    I take it you are talking about the 17shot mag rather than the 7 shot version.
    ps I would expect it to group better on the second half of the mag if its a tension issue.

jezer

Thanks for that stillair1.it is the 17 shot mag.the fliers occure at anny point of the zeroing.kev g gave me some tips and the groups did get better.i thought i had craked it but i am still getting the odd one 3/4inch flyer.i think there may be some lead been scraped off the pellet either as it leaves the mag into the breech or as it enters the breech ie from the porting.some pics will be great if you can on how to adjust the mag.getting sik of stripping the gun down to no avail.to me an inacurate gun is as good as a chocolate fireguard.ATB JEZ