Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land owners permission to shoot on their land.

Land owners permission to shoot on their land.

Spending the best part of tomorrow driving round posting letters asking permission to shoot on farm land etc.Used all the best "pink and fluffy " Insured , responsible , boundries respected , backstops , etc etc etc.

Been at it a couple of weeks now and you`d think I was asking for to borrow the crown jewels for a haloween party. Even buying my fruit and veg of one I think I`ve got a chance with Back in Tescos next week no doubt." ruddy great pumpkins for my daughters for halloween from another (going to take them back there trick or treating to try and recoop some funds next week)

Got 50 letters printed off and will post how many positives I get back in the next couple of weeks , fingers crossed.
    If you can read my signature,thank a teacher.If your reading it in English thank a soldier.

TERRYT is offline I DID see a pussy. I DID! I DID!

Red face Its Never!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manc Lee. View Post
    Spending the best part of tomorrow driving round posting letters asking permission to shoot on farm land etc.Used all the best "pink and fluffy " Insured , responsible , boundries respected , backstops , etc etc etc.

Been at it a couple of weeks now and you`d think I was asking for to borrow the crown jewels for a haloween party. Even buying my fruit and veg of one I think I`ve got a chance with Back in Tescos next week no doubt." ruddy great pumpkins for my daughters for halloween from another (going to take them back there trick or treating to try and recoop some funds next week)

Got 50 letters printed off and will post how many positives I get back in the next couple of weeks , fingers crossed.
    Going to be easy, Lee,all the guys on here will tell you the same,its all
    about what you put in, and patience, i would imagine its much harder
    if you live in a big city,just keep at it, and it will come,and once you have
    your first permission others will probably follow

ATVB TERRY
    Although I still walk softly with a big "STICK" I firmly believe the carrot works best,

One important thing with letters is spelling and grammar. Getting it right makes a good impression towards their attitude to giving shooting rights there.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Keep trying !

See it from their point of view; Would you let someone you didn't know wander around your land with a gun.

It might help if you look at the land first and personalise it. " I've noticed that your fields of crops have extensive rabbit/pigeon damage....."
    "I notice that you have numerous pigeons on your barns which are likely to contaminate livestock feed"

I'm sure you'll get something in the end.

Dave E
    .22 Webley Vulcan; .177 BSA MS Hornet; .177 FX Cyclone; 4 x .177 Gamo Delta's; .177 Brocock Hunter thumbhole stock; .177 Brocock Hunter Sporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Manc Lee. View Post

Hi Lee

After forty odd years of dealing with Farmers here's some usefull tips.

Farms tend to be run as a business and as such they recieve tons of junk mail, guess where your letters tend to end up.

As a business all business cards tend to be kept for years on end.
    Nothing too flash, Airgun vermin control with name and Phone number will do.

Try to approach the Farmer and introduce yourself and leave him a card.

Don't stop him working if he is busy and don't start banging on about insurance and boundries etc etc, unless he asks.
    If you get permission that's the time to show your insurance, and the farmer will show you his boundries.

Don't get mardy arsed with anyone as Farmers all tend to be in touch with one another.

I know it seems like a lot of hard work but it is worth it in the end.

All the best Mick

An offer of unpaid help on the farm always goes down well, especially if you can demonstrate some knowledge in regard to their business.
    The best way to secure shooting permission though, is to know people who know people, which can take years...

I tried the same posting letters methods. When ever i went out cycling i noted down the contact details from signs outside farms.
    From 76 letters and a months collecting info i got two phone calls.
    One couldnt let me on as his land was being quarried and the other said come and shoot the rabbits. That 1 positive reply made all the effort worth it.

A month later i telephone a few of the farms i had written to. Most of them werent against shooting but either already had airgunners or shotgun syndicates. One however said " come over and shoot the rots i'm over run with em".

Perseverence pays off

Happy shootin
    Last edited by Ric O'shay; 16-10-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged Bullpup,BSA Meteor Mk6,
    Webley Alecto, Tanfoglio Witness, 6mm Umarex Race Gun 6mm ASG CZ75

Manc lee .

Dont just think of asking farmers mate , think of other places that may require some "free" vermin control . How about asking golf coures , stables or garden centers etc...

Wear smart/casual clothing , no camo , leave your rifle at home , remain polite , even if given a "No thanks!" , offer to split the game with them , and offer to keep an eye on things all the time you are on their land , and offer to report back to them with any prolems with fly tippers , damage to fences etc...

If given a "No" ask if its okay if you leave a card , and if you can make a return visit in around 6 months time . Of if they know of anybody who it would be worth your while asking .

Good luck mate , if it was easy , we would all have loads of land to shoot over all the time wouldnt we? Stick with it and dont give up . let us know how you get on?

Hth atb fellas .

Andy .

Cheers for the advice everyone some helpful tips in there.

Put about 20 out thismorning and had a good bit of banter with a couple of them.One old guy in particular telling me about a mink he got the other night and both debating the better method , shotgun versus air rifle for rabbits hes got problems with.A visitor turned up as we were chatting so I left sharpish,but I`d like to think I stood a chance with him.

Quick bite to eat and a brew and got about a dozen more I plan to do today.

Will let you know any replies I get.

Thanks again
    If you can read my signature,thank a teacher.If your reading it in English thank a soldier.

Good luck, you're working hard there and you'll get something(s) very soon I'm sure!
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Good luck Lee, excellent work mate.

Good luck Lee! Let us know how you get along.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Loonboy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    One important thing with letters is spelling and grammar. Getting it right makes a good impression towards their attitude to giving shooting rights there.
    the joy of microsoft word

Any luck yet ?

Permission

I always put references on any letters I send out.

They are likely to know their neighbours and this can put their minds at rest. If they want to check up on you, they can; it shows you have nothing to hide.

Top tips to get permission:
    • Send letter with references.
    • Call by telephone after a few days.
    • Printout a google earth map of the surrounding area (More likely to show fences and
    • Have a good draft permission slip ready.
    • Offer to visit to discuss any vermin problems they may have on their land and what you can do to help.
    • Discuss access, times, hazards and offer part of your future bag to the landowner.
    • Show them you have a real passion for your sport and not just "some bloke who wants to do some shooting on their farm".
    • Show them your shooting insurance documents.
    • Get the landowner to show you their boundries on a map and mark them on your google map.
    • I normally do a bit of "Paintshop Pro" on the map and insert it into a Word document to form a professional looking permission slip.
    • Post said professional permission slip to the land owner and invite them to suggest any changes.
    • Revisit to collect signed permission slip.
    • Reap the rewards of your labour.

It sounds a bit long winded, but each step sets their minds at rest and builds trust over a short time.

Be prepared for the ocassional "anti". Each to his own I say.

ATB

westy306