Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land owners permission to shoot on their land.

well i hope he got a shoot,as i have tried the same thing,no letters and just calling over 2 days and i tried previously as far as wales.
    anyway i eventually got a shoot on a golfcourse and would you believe it,it was the first one i called at but,i did have to call back and boy was it worth it,i then got another some time later.
    so keep trying and never give up,i know it is not easy and anyone can say keep going and it can be disheartening at times but,the rewards are good for those who keep going.
    atb

jon
    ps,,met a guy off here who has been trying for a shoot for over 5 years and not got one,so i took him on my shoot to help perk him up and it did revive his enthusiasm for a shoot of his own.

I sent 20 letters and got 5 farms to shoot on.
    My top 'Letter' tip is not to ask for shooting permission but rather to only ask for a meeting in which to discuss the possibility of shooting permission. Sounds like a small difference but you are asking for a much smaller initial commitment which once granted is more likely to be followed by a second positive commitment. Standard sales psychology really.
    AA Prosport.177, HW77.177, HW97K.177, HW98.177, Theoben Evolution.177, Theoben SLR98.177, AA S410.177, Alros Trailsman.22

Is there some way to find out the full farm address, including the farmers name, other than driving up to the farm house of course. Some farms are hidden out of the way, or is it much more important to hand deliver letters of request?

Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, South West Wales
    Just my Two Pence but ive found it much more productive just to go knocking on doors, That way you get an instant decision and the land owner gets a chance to meet you in person, which from my experience is much more preferable.

My shooting partner and I have about 2000 acres of permissions now spread over 6 farms, all from just a friendly knock, only had 2 rejections and they were still very helpful by suggesting other places to try
    Just be pleasant and respectful and hopefully your character will shine through.
    Oh and dont wear your DPM's for the initial knock, just dress casually.

Christmas is coming up too so ill be dropping a little hamper round at each permission, not to lick boots but just a simple friendly gesture to show you appreciate their trust

all the best.

trying to avoid sounding like a pessimist but from 50 letters, i would expect no more than 3 calls. at the most.

you may be lucky and get quite a few but don't hold your breath. Land is pretty much tied up everywhere these days by syndicates or hobbyists who have worked hard for the land or have dropped lucky in the pub / been recommended by a friend of the landowner.

its the same response as everyone else but if there are no positive replies, just keep at it and it will pay off eventually. make sure you add plant /vegetable growers, golf courses & driving ranges, stables / paddocks to your list - you never know where permissions may come from!

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    I emailed all of the golf courses and farming related concerns (but no actual farms) in my area (20 mile radius) with the help of Yell.com

I used Jackels letter as a template and edited it to suit my needs. With about 5 mins work, I had secured a permission and have another one awaiting their current shooter leaving at the end of November.

No need to go around in a shirt and tie, harping on about insurance, boundaries, free work etc. I just sat in my underpants on the settee and did some typing.

Easy peasy.
    I plink, therefore I am.

I've only ever approached a few places as my mate has knocked a few and been succesful and I've shot with him on those. I currently have an 18 hole course because I was in the next hospital bed to the steward of the club. Today I got a 30 acre manor house through a bloke my Dad knows. The Lady ( and I do mean Lady, wife of a Lord) even asked me how much I charge! Sometimes it's just luck.
    I knocked another large farm today and while I couldn't get permission due to a syndicate taking care of pest control, I did have a good chat to the farmer and I think he would have been fine if the syndicate situation was different.

At the end of the day you'd be providing them with a service and they don't really have the time to take care of it themselves usually. I don't mention insurance or anything about free services to the farmer, they know the crack and they just want someone trustworth who will get the job done with the minimum of fuss.

If you think air rifle is hard then try getting permission for a firearm!
    Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

Golf courses

Just out of interest, all you guys who have Golf course permission, do you have to only shoot at night?
    I assume dry daylight days theres always someone wanting to play golf?
    AA Prosport.177, HW77.177, HW97K.177, HW98.177, Theoben Evolution.177, Theoben SLR98.177, AA S410.177, Alros Trailsman.22

Quote Originally Posted by GAV1N View Post
    Just out of interest, all you guys who have Golf course permission, do you have to only shoot at night?
    I can only shoot at night which can be tough as they get lamp shy.
    Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by GAV1N View Post
    depens on greenkeeper etc..myself and mate were told once,why can`t you shoot squirrels at night?..try keeping a straight face for that one..
    i also go on in summer while it is light and shoot rabbits or squirrel with hmr but,i`m aware of where golfers are and shoot well away from them.no problems to date from that either.
    shoot squirrels with air rifle fac and is a good way of getting rid of them..the greenkeeper told us to and said ,if anyone says anything,then tell them to see him..
    jon