Thread: Tasco 2.5-10x42 AO Varmint

Tasco 2.5-10x42 AO Varmint

Hi, reading a criticism of the Tasco VAR2.5-10x42AO-M true mil dot varmint/target scope in a review. Which is designed for cartridge rifle use up to and beyond 200 yds, and air gun use.
    Decided me to make comment,as I recently acquired a hardly used one of these, for use on a new HW95K, .177 (barrel weighted 109cm model-not the newer silenced carbine, which is 114cm long). It has amazing clarity both day and night, works down to 5 yds, using the Y setting. Or estimating a 5 yd point it works virtually through out the range. The ocular is the locking type, but I prefer this method. The zoom ring is separate, well marked and nice to operate.
    Range finding objective is precise, the mil dot system is excellent, zeroing at 30yds,(100yds for cartridge rifles) in theory with use of mil dots at 10 power allows hold over @ 10yds per mil dot, so the 5 mil dots below centre line go 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80 yards. Hold under, the first two mil dots above centre line give 20 and 10 yds, and yes I have checked this on open range, up to 80 yds.
    The scope is the US version, but made in China, its longish at 14 inches, needs a rear reach foreword mount on some dovetails to achieve correct eye relief, but you can get away with a recoil stop on some rails.
    Main criticisms, The elastic connected eye covers are 'crud', AO range marking although extensive and accurate in both imperial and metric is not very visible unless you have A1 vision, but I fixed this quickly by liberally applying Tippex, allowing a few seconds then wiping away to leave all settings more distinct, when dry, I line marked the 20, 30, 50 and 80 yd points with more Tippex for easy and rapid setting, so far no probs. It is possible these setting would not work as well with a .22 cal at sub 12 FPE. But I have not tested this scope on my .22 yet, and I may not bother as it does fine with its present NIKKO STIRLING platinum 3-9x40AO-WA scope of an earlier vintage(not from China).
    There are more permanent alterative methods, of range/distance marking but this works fine for me. You do need to clean off carefully, advantage of Tippex is it can be cleaned out of grooves using a wood cocktail stick, these are also useful to line mark with.

I've owned three of these scopes and i must say that the quality is outstanding for the money, this is probably one of the best value scope's you can buy.

I've owned Swat 4-16x56 scopes, Bushnell Trophey's,various Simmons, Hawkes, Nikko Sterlings, Falcons, and at present a MTC Viper 3-12x44, the Tasco Varminter will give them all a run for their money!

I'm not for one moment saying that the Tasco optics are on a par with the best of these scopes, but for general pest control it can certainly hold it's own against them.

If your looking for a decent budget scope for a sub 12 ft/lb rifle, and you want it for hunting/pest control, then look no further.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    I've owned three of these scopes and i must say that the quality is outstanding for the money, this is probably one of the best value scope's you can buy.

I've owned Swat 4-16x56 scopes, Bushnell Trophey's,various Simmons, Hawkes, Nikko Sterlings, Falcons, and at present a MTC Viper 3-12x44, the Tasco Varminter will give them all a run for their money!

I'm not for one moment saying that the Tasco optics are on a par with the best of these scopes, but for general pest control it can certainly hold it's own against them.

If your looking for a decent budget scope for a sub 12 ft/lb rifle, and you want it for hunting/pest control, then look no further.

I have one of these and have to agree, very good optics for the money
    A SWINGING CHAIN SAYS THE SEAT IS STILL WARM
    , Webley Spectre .22 ,

I owned two of the original one's, the first one developed a fault, it lost zero and turning the elevation did nothing. It was only used on a Webley FX2000. It was replaced under warranty.

The replacement developed the same fault some months later, you could hear something rattling about inside. I never got round to trying to get it repaired, shame as they do have good optics and were one of the first mildot scopes available for reasonable money

Tasco 2.5-10x42 AO Mil dot Varmint

Just an update, I continue to use this scope frequently, it remains problem free, works well dawn til dusk, clear, the target style adjusters remain precise and accurate. I think its a shame they are not better thought of,I believe mine was supplied from the US via a UK dealer, not directly from the far east. But is was made in China. It is on the heavy side at about 30 oz, with decent mounts and Butler Creeks, but I like it. Also I recently transferred it to my Brummie .22 Stingray Carbine and it continued to perform as well as ever, its now back on the HW95 .177, just reset the target adjusters back to their Zero point, and it was within a few millimetres at 30 yds, in windy cold coditions, so is mine an odd one, I suspect not, I think Tasco have his model sorted.

Ive got one of these - although it has been replaced already under warrenty due to a zero shift when the mag was altered. The replacement is spot on. Optically, as you would expect, its no where near as good as my Swarovski but then again the Tasco was £70, the Swarovski £700+, so I cant argue with its value for money....

Tasco update

Hi, I'm still enjoying this bit of kit, its even good for ratting as it can focus down to about 15 ft or slightly less on the 2.5 mag min distance setting, I noticed someone discussing the Hawke Varmint, which is obviously modeled on the Tasco Target/Varmint 2.5-10x42 AO, it still holds original zero and has been deployed on 3 Springer’s and my gas rammed Brummie Stingray, I have a Nikko Stirling Platinum black gloss early model 30/30 type ret 3-9x40 WA-AO, Korean model,with Jap quality glass and superb construction, which would be totally indispensable if it had a MIL dot ret, but for now its hanging on in my collection. I'm also awaiting delivery of a UTG Tactedge Commando 6" R&G dot sight from the US, http://www.leapers.com/pages/optics/accushot_scope.htm
    it's first duty call will be for testing on my HW45, it's over 6 inches long, but fitted to the forward rail it should not interfere with cocking, how do I know, made a mock-up and tried before ordering. It will also be fitted to my Stingray for close quick acquisition shooting. Will report on test results later.
    Last edited by Brenty; 03-02-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add info