Thread: Rapid action bedding -accuracy improvement?

Rapid action bedding -accuracy improvement?

I'm trying to get the best out of my Rapid Mk2 FAC, and have noticed that the action 'waggles' a little in the stock. By that, I mean than because the action is held into the stock with only one bolt by the trigger, it can rotate around the bolt in the stock inletting.
    Would glass or Devcon bedding the action to keep it tight with make an improvement to the accuracy? I'm pretty sure that there used to be a 'How to bed your Rapid' webpage somewhere online, can anyone remember it?

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    A bike tire inner tube at the bottom then do the bolt tight.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    A bike tire inner tube at the bottom then do the bolt tight.
    Hey, that's a great idea!
    Did it help with your accuracy?

Rapid

Hi I used green felt stuck to the sides and near the back theres a screw hole they use for a Mk1 block trigger guard screw a bolt in then cut off so it sticks out about 3/4mm this grips into the stock and pevents movement.

First link now working, thanks for the info.
    But Wow!, the second link shows a great image of very thorough bedding. Does it help the accuracy?
    Last edited by Guesty; 23-10-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

mine also wiggles...completely unacceptable for a rifle of this price!!! As are quite a few other things on it!
    www.delgi.com
    www.olympicguns.co.za
    Steyr LG110 FT
    Steyr LG110 HP .20cal
    Steyr LG20 FT
    AA S400 Ginb FT
    HW100 FAC Ginb FT
    FX Verminator,Gladiator, Ranchero
    Logun Axsor
    Logun S16Xs FAC
    FWB300S
    AA Venom ProSport Ginb FT
    AA Venom TX200HC CS1000
    Steyr LP50 and LP10
    SAM K15
    Theoben Evo .177
    Theoben Crusader .20
    BSA Lightning XL Tactical .177
    Winchester Mod52 .22LR silhouette
    Hammerli 152 Electronic .22 free pistol, others...

If you have this problem first check that the bolt is not too long. I have found that stocks vary in thickness around the bolt fixing. Either that or the countersunk hole on the outside of the stock is sometimes drilled too deep. Anyway, try using one or more extra washers until the action is really tight in the stock. Packing like inner tube rubber is fine as well but I would go the bolt route first.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

How much movement are you looking at, me personally would look at the base of the stock and make sure its nice and flat , one centre bolt should be ample when tightened up,

Loose action aside, quick fill AND a pressure gauge now that i would be interested in. Have you any pictures of these in the stock and out. Didn't know you could have both.
    Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tafty View Post
    How much movement are you looking at, me personally would look at the base of the stock and make sure its nice and flat , one centre bolt should be ample when tightened up,
    The action 'clonks' from side to side when taking off or replacing the buddy bottle. This can be lessened by tightening the action bolt (which is OK length, Cheers Nick!), but still not ideal.
    I have cut a business card into 4, and sandwiched 2 strips each side between the stock and action, one fore the other aft. This now holds the action firmly, but I can see no accuracy improvement on an indoor 35 yard range.
    Again, I'll have have to wait for a perfectly still day to test at longer range outdoors.