Thread: Clair Frere???

Clair Frere???

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has one of these air rifles, or know where I can find out more information about them.
    To the person, who in MY opinion gives the most helpfull reply, there will be a GIFT....wait for it.......I ts a B.S.A. Airsporter foresight hood!!! Post FREE!!!

What I know so far is.....They were made by the Clair Brothers, in St Etienne, France, around 1890-1910, cal 7mm, integral butt pump, air reservoir around the barrel, 24" smooth bore barrel, 38"overall, ebonised 3/4 stock, set trigger.
    This one is profusely engraved for an air rifle.

Thanks in anticipation.
    P.S. I will try to get some pics on later Today.
    Last edited by bazwong; 21-10-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: To put info about the gift, nearer to the begining, to get more response
    Just too many guns! NO, I was only kidding!

hi baz, just a suggestion St Ettiene was/is the centre of arms manufacturing in La Belle France, what about trying the French Patents office in Paris or try the French Embassey in London,. They may be able to suggest some possible answers. Regards and good luck with youre search.

Clair Freres?

Hi, Thanks for that info, I hadn`t thought of that. I hope to get some pics on here tomorrow, maybe I will get some more response.
    atb
    Bazwong.

Bazwong, did you get the Clair Freres that was auctioned a while back (ornately inlaid ebony-looking wood, appeared to be missing the bolt)?
    I have a similar one with normal 'brown' wood sans inlays, complete but non-functioning. Evidently I deleted the photos I had of it, but could come up with some next week (right now I'm packing up for the big airgun Expo in Virginia).
    I don't have any additional info for you, but it's a beautifully made gun, though it looks to me like the barrel shroud isn't actually a reservoir - when I took the action out from the stock, there appeared to be a 1-shot reservoir which made sense considering the second 'trigger' that sets the valve for pumping.

Clair Frere?

Hi, thanks for that info, that is a great help, I will pm you now.
    ATB