Thread: Anyone shoot an original antique BP revolver ?

Anyone shoot an original antique BP revolver ?

I've been lusting after an Adams revolver for a while now so I'm very tempted to get an original antique put on my FAC as the originals are cheaper and more common than the very rare Swiss reproduction.

Does anyone here shoot an original antique cap & ball revolver ?

I've got a little Adams, very pretty little gun. Mine has 98% shiny original blue marred only by an unfortunate rust spot from the case. Some moron scratched the rust off

The nipples were too big for a standard cap so I made new nipples.

The hammer didn't have enough welly to fire a modern cap so I added a small bump to the hammer face to localise the impact.

Loaded her up and missed the target at 25 yards

Possible explanations...

1: I am a crap shot.

2: Wrong bullet

3: A rust pit in the forcing cone?

http://www.robinhewitt.net/adams.jpg

Shooting an original

I've been shooting a orignnal Remington New Model Army since 2004. I've had some success at International level with it and although it doesn't necessarily shoot straight (very high and left at 25m) it can be very accurate. I had no problem with the local force adding it to my licence, in fact it was a case of writing it in and telling them I'd done it. I've found I enjoy shooting originals -in spite of having my original flintlock blow up in someone else's hand! Fortunately, no damage was done except to the gun which was instantly convetred into a pile of bits. Thank God for insurance!

Who makes an Adams replica? I'd be quite interested in one of those. One of my patients offered me an Adams that that looked absolutely brand new. I don't think it had ever been fired. His great great uncle took it to the Australian gold fields in the 1860s. I would have loved it but he wanted £2000 which was too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NickHarvey View Post
    Fortunately, no damage was done except to the gun which was instantly convetred into a pile of bits. Thank God for insurance!
    Hi Nick which insurance company are you with?

Nigel