Thread: How dangerous is black powder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If a powder flask is sufficiently mistreated to 'go off' then its more like a blow torch out of the end rather than a grenade.

A guy down my range decided it would be a great idea to loosen up his caked powder in his flask by stabbing a screwdriver down the spout - this eventually managed to ignite the powder and the blow-torch effect then happened and burned off the front of his clothes. Think he only lost one layer of skin so was very lucky indeed !

It is so much cheaper than pyrodex and I'm only on a student budget, so it might be worth me getting a permit then.

Has anyone visted Fenland Rural Sports. I have heard it sell BP supplies.

Smile Black powder.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    Yes, Was there a couple of weeks ago. They had swiss black powder but its guite expensive compared with Kranks or TS2. However you do use less per charge so it works out not much dearer.
    TS2 was £15 a 1/2 kilo pot from Kranks a few weeks ago which lasts me about 3 months shooting most Sunday mornings.

What is their Gun selection like?

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    It is interesting how peoples views on Black powder differ. I have shot m/l shotguns for years and have always used Black powder. It is classed as a low explosive and is relatively easy to set of. I have heard other shooters saying there is no real pressure in it but i an sure very high pressures can be had!
    Providing basic safety procedures & respect for it are observed it is perfectly safe. For example i personally would never load from a powder flask directly into the barrel rather always into a measure first.
    Many years ago i had an accident and set of 1 ld of the stuff with an angle grinder at a range of 5ft, it was very very hot and i lost most of my hair, moustache & sideburns in the flash. That powder was at least 50 years old & caked solid but boy did it go! But for my goggles i would now be sporting a white stick. Funnily enough i never heard the bang though witnesses said it was very loud. The worst thing was i had my full membership interview at my local wildfowling club that very night and as i answered the questions bits of burnt hair kept falling on the table, i did get some strange looks but passed

Thumbs up

Hi Rizzini. Kranks have an exellent choice of all things black powder related. Plenty of choice in the gun department and helpfull with advice.
    As far as black powder v pyrodex v 777 goes i dont know anyone who can shoot bp who uses anything else. I have four bp guns and have never found cleaning to be an issue, evan when left dirty for a few days. 10 mins with hot soapy water or consentrated screen wash, rod out the barrel, cylinder ect and dry with a hair dryer. Lube with any decent gun oil an stick it in the cupboard. My nitro firing long barrel revolver gets just as cruddy and takes just as long to clean but admittedly it wont rust if left.

I have.

Yes, it does.

Where is Barkshire?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Where is Barkshire?

tac
    Near Kenilworth.

Or Isle of Dogs maybe.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gott View Post
    Near Kenilworth.

Or Isle of Dogs maybe.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

It is so much cheaper than pyrodex and I'm only on a student budget, so it might be worth me getting a permit then.
    Are you sure it's so much cheaper? I know a lot of blokes in my club have gone across to the substitutes as they can't get BP through the local dealers and the dealers are not likely to be stocking it because of the cost now associated with transportation and storage and the customer won't stomach having those costs passed on.......

Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post
    If a powder flask is sufficiently mistreated to 'go off' then its more like a blow torch out of the end rather than a grenade.

A guy down my range decided it would be a great idea to loosen up his caked powder in his flask by stabbing a screwdriver down the spout - this eventually managed to ignite the powder and the blow-torch effect then happened and burned off the front of his clothes. Think he only lost one layer of skin so was very lucky indeed !
    Did your singed pal not wonder why all fittings for handling BP are made of brass?

Guess not, eh?

Betcha he knows now.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post

seen films where the victim was being burnt at the stake and they hung a flask of black powder around their necks.....i thought that was to blow their heads off rather than a nasty burn