Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
Whne will we know if this change comes into effect? It would be a sensible idea aswell.
Also, pyrodex does not work in flintlocks, so some people need to use the real stuff.

Regards
Hi Rizzini, Long Reach, Smokeless Coal

I read an article on the proposed changes to the storage rules but after getting excited about it was told by my Fire arms officer that the HSE had raised objections during the consultancy stage and ACPO withdrew it support so the change wont go ahead. Sorry its back to the home office box and getting approval from the local constabulary then the HSE.

I use a repo Brown Bess and have tried both Pyrodex and Triple 777, it needed some BP in the pan to ignite to get the main charge to go off. I tried mixtures of various things – scrapings of red match heads mixed with Pyrodex with no real success. If the scrapings ignited then the Pyrodex just seemed to turn into a molten burning ball.

With black powder in the pan using either Pyrodex or Triple 777 there is a heck of a time delay between the pan igniting and the charge igniting which doesn’t half affect the aim. To hit the target you end up bench resting the Bess a new discipline maybe. The Triple 777 produced very dry crusted fouling which required constant brushing out, it also made the breach very hot, so I gave up on it, I was after the easier washing out which is true it does work as they say on the tin.

Earlier in the thread you asked about Fenland Rural sports, I have visited there once and they do sell BP and the Box at about £50. As the bloke I talked to said if their magazine ever went up it would dig a fair sized lake very quickly. So I take it they have a fair stock.

Hope this is of help

Flash