Thread: Air rifle power vs. .22 rimfire?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Air rifle power vs. .22 rimfire?

I know, .22 rimfire is generally more powerful

But my question is: what muzzle velocity would be necessary for a conventional .177 or .22 air gun pellet to reach the muzzle energy of a low-end .22 rimfire (say, a .22 short)?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 27-10-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Northernspark Guest
    90-100flb

Steve

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    As steve says above, 90-100ftlb of ftlb would be required for a FAC air rifle to have the same knock down power as a rimmi.

Dont forget the rim-fire lauch's a 40gr bullit, so if you tried a heavy .22 pellet round it wont be any good , but there are bullit heads in .22 that weigh 30gr for FAC air rifles and blows them out at around 70ftlb! serious power and accuracy for the fac rifle is not bad either , better then a pellet at those power levels. But any one wanting that sort of power would be better off with the rimmi rather then a air-rifle no matter what power due to the air that it will require it will be more hassel then its worth and the FAC 30gr bullits for the air -rifle is far too costly too.

Pellet/bullet.

.22" shorts at my local club with 29 grain bullet equals 37.203269lb.ft according to my calculations, going on what was said, but not tested, that the fps was about 760.

So, with a 8.4 grain pellet (A.A Field in .177") you would be looking at around 1412 fps (approx' 37.19617lb.ft). For a 21 grain pellet (Bisley Magnum in .22") you would be looking at around 900 fps (37.779851lb.ft).

A normal .22" round gives about 106lb.ft with a 38 grain bullet, which for the 8.4 grain pellet equates to around 2375 fps (106.56903lb.ft) & the 21 grain pellet equates to around 1512 fps (106.62985lb.ft).

The trouble is, as far as I know, the pellets would be very unstable in the air at these speeds, especially the 8.4 grain.

Chris.
    Last edited by cinstone; 27-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Performance wise, a 16gn jsb from a 32ftlb rapid would walk all over a .22short imho with better accuracy and trajectory.
    Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Performance wise, a 16gn jsb from a 32ftlb rapid would walk all over a .22short imho with better accuracy and trajectory.
    Neil

You tell 'em my Essex wonder bomb you tell 'em.

When are we gonna meet up neil?b

When it warms up a bit Cos, unless you are going to see Ben soon. Failing that when Baz fleeces us of a ten each on the range.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Neil
    Not sure thats actually the case?

The standard velocity .22 short launches a 29 grain bullet at 1,045 fps with 70 ft. lbs. of energy from a 22" rifle barrel
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Not sure thats actually the case?

The standard velocity .22 short launches a 29 grain bullet at 1,045 fps with 70 ft. lbs. of energy from a 22" rifle barrel
    Never mind the much higher BC that makes a .22 short to have over 45 ft.lbs of impact energy @ 100 yards. Nearly 30% more energy than a 32 ft.lbs air rifle at point blank range.

A.G

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by cinstone View Post
    .22" shorts at my local club with 29 grain bullet equals 37.203269lb.ft according to my calculations, going on what was said, but not tested, that the fps was about 760.

So, with a 8.4 grain pellet (A.A Field in .177") you would be looking at around 1412 fps (approx' 37.19617lb.ft). For a 21 grain pellet (Bisley Magnum in .22") you would be lokking at around 900 fps (37.779851lb.ft).

A normal .22" round gives about 106lb.ft with a 38 grain bullet, which for the 8.4 grain pellet equates to around 2375 fps (106.56903lb.ft) & the 21 grain pellet equates to around 1512 fps (106.62985lb.ft).

The trouble is, as far as I know, the pellets would be very unstable in the air at these speeds, especially the 8.4 grain.

Chris.
    So, a .22 short is giving you about 37 foot-pounds of muzzle energy: and a conventional .177 air pellet would need to be pushed to around 1400 fps to produce about 37 foot-pounds.

Makes you wonder why the government chose to ban air pistols that exceed 6 foot-pounds, and to require a FAC for ar rifles that exceed 12 foot-pounds: when these power ratings are about 1/6, and 1/3, respectively, of the low-end .22 short.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 27-10-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I know, .22 rimfire is generally more powerful

But my question is: what muzzle velocity would be necessary for a conventional .177 or .22 air gun pellet to reach the muzzle energy of a low-end .22 rimfire (say, a .22 short)?

Jim
    Not possible with even the heaviest of the available .25 caliber pellets @ 45 grs. A .22 RF can easily reach 100 ft.lbs even with a bug standard subsonic ammo. For the air rifle to reach this figure the pellet (hopelessly inefficient compared to a bullet ) has to travel supersonic or very nearly and this speed causes all sorts of instabilities in flight. Our friends the power hungry Americans, use very heavy cast bullet type ammo for their 200 ft.lbs air rifles.
    IMHO for the UK average hunting conditions a .22 of about 20ft.lbs is just about right, and probably 30 ft.lbs in .25 is more than adequate .

A.G