Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air rifle power vs. .22 rimfire?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Air rifle power vs. .22 rimfire?

I know, .22 rimfire is generally more powerful

But my question is: what muzzle velocity would be necessary for a conventional .177 or .22 air gun pellet to reach the muzzle energy of a low-end .22 rimfire (say, a .22 short)?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 27-10-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Northernspark Guest
    90-100flb

Steve

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    As steve says above, 90-100ftlb of ftlb would be required for a FAC air rifle to have the same knock down power as a rimmi.

Dont forget the rim-fire lauch's a 40gr bullit, so if you tried a heavy .22 pellet round it wont be any good , but there are bullit heads in .22 that weigh 30gr for FAC air rifles and blows them out at around 70ftlb! serious power and accuracy for the fac rifle is not bad either , better then a pellet at those power levels. But any one wanting that sort of power would be better off with the rimmi rather then a air-rifle no matter what power due to the air that it will require it will be more hassel then its worth and the FAC 30gr bullits for the air -rifle is far too costly too.

Pellet/bullet.

.22" shorts at my local club with 29 grain bullet equals 37.203269lb.ft according to my calculations, going on what was said, but not tested, that the fps was about 760.

So, with a 8.4 grain pellet (A.A Field in .177") you would be looking at around 1412 fps (approx' 37.19617lb.ft). For a 21 grain pellet (Bisley Magnum in .22") you would be looking at around 900 fps (37.779851lb.ft).

A normal .22" round gives about 106lb.ft with a 38 grain bullet, which for the 8.4 grain pellet equates to around 2375 fps (106.56903lb.ft) & the 21 grain pellet equates to around 1512 fps (106.62985lb.ft).

The trouble is, as far as I know, the pellets would be very unstable in the air at these speeds, especially the 8.4 grain.

Chris.
    Last edited by cinstone; 27-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Performance wise, a 16gn jsb from a 32ftlb rapid would walk all over a .22short imho with better accuracy and trajectory.
    Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by cinstone View Post
    .22" shorts at my local club with 29 grain bullet equals 37.203269lb.ft according to my calculations, going on what was said, but not tested, that the fps was about 760.

So, with a 8.4 grain pellet (A.A Field in .177") you would be looking at around 1412 fps (approx' 37.19617lb.ft). For a 21 grain pellet (Bisley Magnum in .22") you would be lokking at around 900 fps (37.779851lb.ft).

A normal .22" round gives about 106lb.ft with a 38 grain bullet, which for the 8.4 grain pellet equates to around 2375 fps (106.56903lb.ft) & the 21 grain pellet equates to around 1512 fps (106.62985lb.ft).

The trouble is, as far as I know, the pellets would be very unstable in the air at these speeds, especially the 8.4 grain.

Chris.
    So, a .22 short is giving you about 37 foot-pounds of muzzle energy: and a conventional .177 air pellet would need to be pushed to around 1400 fps to produce about 37 foot-pounds.

Makes you wonder why the government chose to ban air pistols that exceed 6 foot-pounds, and to require a FAC for ar rifles that exceed 12 foot-pounds: when these power ratings are about 1/6, and 1/3, respectively, of the low-end .22 short.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 27-10-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Performance wise, a 16gn jsb from a 32ftlb rapid would walk all over a .22short imho with better accuracy and trajectory.
    Neil

You tell 'em my Essex wonder bomb you tell 'em.

When are we gonna meet up neil?b

When it warms up a bit Cos, unless you are going to see Ben soon. Failing that when Baz fleeces us of a ten each on the range.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    When it warms up a bit Cos, unless you are going to see Ben soon. Failing that when Baz fleeces us of a ten each on the range.

Tenner ! you tight essex git.!

I'll pm you when i next go to benny boy and we'll have a meet up then, how'zat sand (cockney tone)

testing tool

Hi Guys!
    I know that its very old thread, but Ive just found it as I was looking for some ideas how to build an tool which can simulate .22rimfire @200Y
    Im trying to build knock down target for rimfire, but I have no idea how to test it in my garage without going on to fields..
    Do You have any ideas?
    Cheers
    Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I know, .22 rimfire is generally more powerful

But my question is: what muzzle velocity would be necessary for a conventional .177 or .22 air gun pellet to reach the muzzle energy of a low-end .22 rimfire (say, a .22 short)?

Jim
    Not possible with even the heaviest of the available .25 caliber pellets @ 45 grs. A .22 RF can easily reach 100 ft.lbs even with a bug standard subsonic ammo. For the air rifle to reach this figure the pellet (hopelessly inefficient compared to a bullet ) has to travel supersonic or very nearly and this speed causes all sorts of instabilities in flight. Our friends the power hungry Americans, use very heavy cast bullet type ammo for their 200 ft.lbs air rifles.
    IMHO for the UK average hunting conditions a .22 of about 20ft.lbs is just about right, and probably 30 ft.lbs in .25 is more than adequate .

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Mamutowicz View Post
    Hi Guys!
    I know that its very old thread, but Ive just found it as I was looking for some ideas how to build an tool which can simulate .22rimfire @200Y
    Im trying to build knock down target for rimfire, but I have no idea how to test it in my garage without going on to fields..
    Do You have any ideas?
    Cheers
    Peter.
    Depends what aspect you wish to test ??
    A good starting point might be to look at the spec's for Biathlon target systems.

A 40gn .22 sub at 200yds is doing 835fps with 61ftlbs of energy, so even point blank, a legal 12fpe air rifle is only 1/5th of the impact energy, I'm sure with a bit of maths you could work out what length/weight/pivot point is required for a knock down.

Thanks.
    I need to test if target will react as intended @ 200Y, but Ive just realised that its not only mixture of velocity and weight..
    I could build some .. pointer.. on spring, but as I found on air rifle targets, very important thing is the way, and amount of the energy transferred from pellet/bullet on to paddle..
    Think that field work will be the key for success.

A .224 airgun shooting 50 grain bullets at around 900-950 fps will match subsonic .22lr and have better BC. The heaviest practical pellets are 34 grains JSBs in .22 and .25 and pushing them past 950 fps is rather pointless so small bore pellet guns will fall slightly behind a .22lr subs. A .357 airgun shooting 78 grain JSB pellets can easily make more power at muzzle than hottest .22lr loads.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The lowest power .22 is a .22 cap, a magnum springer can match them.