Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Mould

Lee Mould

I'm looking for a Lee double cavity .454 ball, or ball and conical bullet mould. If anyone has got one they no longer use and would like to sell it, please let me know what the price is, or if there's anything you would like to trade for it

(Also in the Wanted Section)

ATB
    Baz

lee mould

PM sent

Deershooter

Reply sent.

ATB
    Baz

Still looking, incase Deerhunter's, is the same as what I've got

ATB
    Baz

Bump, for the possibility that someone has the mould /'s I'm after

All the best
    Baz

Baz

Have you had a look at new Lee 2 gang ones?

They come with handles and a not that expensive

Roy

Hiya Roy,

Yeah, I've already got couple of the Lee Moulds, a .457cal and a .375cal. The .457 is a double cavity and the .375 a single.
    What I fancy trying are conical rounds, instead of the balls and what I would really like is a .454cal double cavity that makes ball & conical rounds, Lee used to do them, but I've checked their site and they don't do them anymore, or was I just hoping they done them ?
    Have you got any experience with conical rounds in a front stuffer ? I usually use a Rem 1858 8" Stainless, or a Rem 1858 12" blued Buffalo and was wondering what problems there are (if any) in loading the conical's and is there any improvement in the accuracy ?
    But it all comes back to the fact that I'm still looking for a mould and it's getting close to Christmas and I'm a tight git , plus the buggers have just put the prices up, due to the strong Dollar
    Anyway Roy, if you know anyone who has what I'm after and they don't need it anymore, I'm quite willing (while grimacing) to part with some folding, or to do some bartering (always up for a bit of trading )

Getting off the point, do you know anything about the Remington 700 SPS, in various calibre's, but .308 sounding favourite ??? Any help very much appreciated. Thus end's this weeks exiting instalment of "Will Baz get his Mould ?" (Sorry about the weirdness, been cleaning things with bleach and I think I've inhaled too many fumes, plus I've just had some new toys arrive and like a kid, I can't wait to open them. A new floor standing bandsaw and a wet & dry grinder, my new pillar drill and router table should arrive later this week )

All the best
    Baz

Hi Baz

I have used both ball (144gn) & bullet (168gn 2 'groove') in the 44 NMA & found the bullet to definately be more accurate out at 50M - didn't seem to be much to separate them at 25m for some reason (my poor shooting !!) .

Only thing to point out on the bullets I have got (not my own moulding) - is that they are flat base - which obviously give more in contact with the rifling.

BUT - as they have no chamfer or boat tail on them - they are an absolute pain to load - they have to be dead - and I mean dead straight when you seat them or when you come to ram the buggers lean over & wont go in !

I can send you a few if you want to try them

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 05-11-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Hi Roy,
    Thanks for the offer of the bullets, but I've had an offer of the loan of a Lee mould from Loiner1965, so I'll have a go at casting some of those and see how it goes. I don't know if there will be any advantage with the accuracy, as I'm only doing the 25yd competitions, so the conicals long rage accuracy may not come into play, but I'll have a go, nothing ventured etc !!!
    Looking on the Lee site, at the conical mould's and the tail of those bullets don't seem to be tapered. Do you know what make do have the taper ?

All the best
    Baz

also put them in backwards and use as a wadcutter.....perfect holes and still accurate

I've never thought of that, is it safe ?

All the best
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by LONG REACH View Post
    I've never thought of that, is it safe ?

All the best
    Baz
    yes and easy to load

I may have to give it a try

ATB
    Baz

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LONG REACH View Post
    Getting off the point, do you know anything about the Remington 700 SPS, in various calibre's, but .308 sounding favourite ??? Any help very much appreciated.
    I bought the det mag version in 308. 24" 1-10" twist as opposed to sps varmint's 1-12". be aware of that. Feed isn't the best I've ever seen (a bit agricultural) as it can stuff the bullet on its way into the chamber. Shot 1" (not good enough for me) with 180 speer spitzer sp in original stock. Gonna try some 150 interbond at lower velocity as they shot into a bucket with a max load.
    SPS Now nestling in new hs-stock and waiting to be shot tomorrow and at the weekend, so we'll see what that brings.
    A lot of people seem to rave about remy rifles but I reckon there are a lot of other manufacturers with more finesse regarding cartridge presentation.
    Controlled round feed is a wonderful thing. I have CZ527 varmint kevlar with same and it's a peach.
    Not sure I should have chopped my Browning A-bolt European in against the SPS. That was a one hole rifle but barrel only 18".
    Rant over. Hope this is of some help.
    PS I like the feel of the remy and I'm hoping I can make it work for me.
    I WILL make it work for me.
    Cheers: LC
    Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

The one I was looking at was the SPS Tactical, the bolt action was very smooth, although I didn't try it with any rounds in it. It felt good (well weighted) and moved up into the shoulder very naturally, it was very much like an SKB shotgun I used to own, very pointable. If you understand what I mean, you'll know how it felt. Just got to wait until January, before the wife and I can apply for our FAC's (then wait again )
    Let us know what happened at the range.

ATB
    Baz