Thread: 1858 NMA remmy, anyone use conicals??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1858 NMA remmy, anyone use conicals??

as per the title, I got a 1858 remmy NMA stainless with target sights etc, worked a really nice load for it and worked the trigger now, its a beauty to shoot, but only ever put .454 balls through it, I know that everyone tells me that its supposed to run balls, but being the curious person that I am, I wondered about conicals, anyone tried them, whats the difference in performance if any??

or is there a very good reason for only using balls?

If I get the mould I'm after, I'll let you know, because I've been using .457 soft lead balls through a stainless 1858 and I want to see what conical's will shoot like !!!
    I would imagine that they would be more accurate, because of their shape, but as I'm yet to try them, I'll have to wait and see. If you shoot some before I do, please let us know what the outcome was.
    I think the only drawback to using conical's, is maybe in the loading, as they would need to be spot on straight, as they were pushed into the cylinder, or so I would have thought

Anyone who know's better that us, please do tell !!!

ATB
    Baz

my intention was to make a new "pushing" section that fits the conical shape as opposed to the current flatter section for pressing a ball in.

but only if the conicals show some real advantage

anyone suggest places online that sell moulds and associated equipement?

Midway UK sell a good selection of Lee moulds and melting equipment, the moulds are about £18.00 and there's a few different furnaces you can buy, but you could also try the Lee website, I think it's www.leeprecision.com, but I'm not 100% sure.

ATB
    Baz

just out of curiosity how accurate are the bp muzzleloaders ?

I've seen 3-4" grouping @ 50m, so they're not too bad, on the other hand, I've seen shot's all over a double bedsheet, that was used as a backdrop behind a 12" target (that's with a rifle by the way !!!) a pistol, I'm averaging around 65 @ 20 yds on a standard 9" pistol target.

Overall, it depends on the weapon and the person using it.

ATB
    Baz

more accurate than me LOL

theres a guy at my club that is the bible as far as Im concerned on BP guns, hes a crack shot and top notch engineer.

spent an hour or so with him, various coaching tips, stance grip and work that I needed to do to my trigger etc.

done some practice since, single handed 6 shot groups at 25yards

my best is roughly measured with a ruler centre to centre just under 4"

certainly not impressive but Im very proud of it

tomoro will be fun,club comp is 6 shots left handed 6 shots right handed at 25yards GULP!!

had a practice at 50 yards in the past, was very shocked at how good it was.