Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1858 NMA remmy, anyone use conicals??

On a slightly different subject.

I also have a 1858 NMA in S/S.I don't have particularly big hands but still I find the grip to be quite narrow.Does anyone know where you can get bigger grips?

Also the trigger is very heavy.Is there away to lighten it?

Apologies if this hijacks the thread.

I did some work to the trigger on mine, much cleaner crisper break now, more of a snap trigger, not a creep creep, I know its going to go bang soon trigger LOL

end result also feels lighter

today I shot in club competition, and won

had a nice play, my 1858 pietta, shot a genuine remington, a beaumont adams, and a colt, all genuine cased etc etc, amazing pieces of history that Im very proud to have tried

the adams is an amazing gun to hold, actually fits in my hand perfectly, shooting rapid fire double action black powder is good fun.

with regards to the original Q, I wont be trying conicals again, accuracy suffered, but more importantly was the fact that it became very hard to load up once you been round the cylinder once or twice, the gumming/fouling was a pain, but you could still load balls no problem

Smile conicals v balls.

I used to have a Ruger old army in which i shot conical bullets and found no difference at all to ball. You do have to adjust the amount of filler used on account of their shape but i didnt find them any better. Have just got my licence approved to buy another .45 bp pistol and the guy who had my mold has said i can have it back so will let you know how it goes.
    Tim

We tried some conical bullets made from Lee moulds in our Ruger OAs a few years ago and having spent all the money I am disappointed to report that it made no improvement at all. There isn't as much room for powder and you need a bit more because its a heavier bullet. Some people feel also that the chamber pressures rise alarmingly. I don't know how you would test that hypothesis. Since World champions regularly shoot 98/99 using fixed sight revolvers and balls one handed what we probably all need is more practice. Don't repeat my mistake and waste your money.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    Since World champions regularly shoot 98/99 using fixed sight revolvers and balls one handed what we probably all need is more practice. Don't repeat my mistake and waste your money.
    Good point, Napoleon.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone