Thread: One of those days.

One of those days.

Just had one of those days with my FWB 124 that will keep me smiling for a while to come. I usually use my HW97 or a Daystate Mk3 for HFT comps. They`re both very accurate guns and capable of getting some very good scores , but yesterday it was time to shoot the course and try something different.
    My FWB 124 has had a bit of fettling over the years ie Maccari kit , trigger etc and the piston runs on delrin. Its good on a zeroing range ,but I never thought it would be able to reproduce the accuracy when needed in an HFT comp. The gun is fitted with a Hawke 3-9x40 (huge mil dot spacing) and loves Medium Defiants (815 fps). The aim points for 8 to 45 yds are oniy about 2mm either side of the crosshairs and at x7 mag everything is pretty clear . I set out with no real expectations , but I thought if I could get round without any doughnuts and come in with a score around 40 then I would be fairly happy. To my suprise, I started knocking a few over I finished the course with 54/60 with a gun 27 years old and probably one of the cheaper scopes available.
    I would say , have a look through that old gun cupboard and actually shoot some of those old guns that you`re collecting, you might be suprised just how good they are/were.
    One of those big smiley days.

Andy Y
    A wise man has something to say, a fool has to say something.

Excellent! Another convert to the joys of classic springers. For my last two national HFT events I have shot a classic rifle were, shall we say, the emphasis has been more on fun rather than accuracy . The trigger pull required exceeded the muzzle energy produced - but what the hell.
    That old BSA is in semi retirement and I have plans for a more modern spring rifle (WITH SCOPE ??? ) to use at next years events is in the pipe line. Its being 'built' now.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Excellent news.
    Batfing is threatening to try a course with her 0.25 Bugelspanner () once she has sussed the open sights.
    Cheers, Phil