Thread: Dumb Question ?

Dumb Question ?

Why do all the airstrippers/muzzle flip thingies have the airflow directed towards the shooter? ( opposite to the airflow direction) I would have thought a smoother and more efficient path would be away from the shooter. Can someone please enlighten me.

Not all strippers face that way, have a look at http://www.pmcb.co.uk

smart looking kit.
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Question

Just a guess...

When the pellet comes out the muzzle there's a small amount of recoil ( good old Newton's law ). Directing the residual jet of air towards the shooter will reduce this and lead to a steadier barrel and thus more accuracy.

Sound reasonable ?

Airgun world.

Hi,

There is a some good info about strippers (rifle type) and co in this months edition. Well worth a read.

ATB Steve.
    Swiftyx2
    Purleychase FT.
    EV2 mk2, Big Nikko. Beretta 92fs.

Stripper.

Hi again,

Try contacting Scooby on bbs he is the master when it comes to airgun strippers.

ATB Steve.
    Swiftyx2
    Purleychase FT.
    EV2 mk2, Big Nikko. Beretta 92fs.

Quote Originally Posted by Br0dy View Post
    Why do all the airstrippers/muzzle flip thingies have the airflow directed towards the shooter? ( opposite to the airflow direction) I would have thought a smoother and more efficient path would be away from the shooter. Can someone please enlighten me.
    Strippers and muzzle flip compensators/brakes are two different things that are often combined.

The purpose of a stripper is to take the turbulent air from behind and around the pellet as it leaves the muzzle and separate it from the pellet.

MFCs/brakes take this expanding blast and use it's energy to push against the unit like a little jet, so if the holes go sideways it stablilises laterally, and if they are vertical, then it does it vertically. If the vents point backwards then it resists recoil (which is moving backwards).

On a .50 cal BMG, you can save 40% of the recoil with a muzzle brake. On some old machine guns prone to rise they helped keep the barrel down.

So they are often combined to strip 'dirty' air away from the pellet and use it's energy to good use.

They take an expert to set up well, and some swear by their benefits, whilst others swear at them if they introduce problems (such as clipping pellets or destablising the pellet). If set up well they can retain accuracy whilst softening the recoil/flip of a gun. Even PCP's aren't recoiless...

and we haven't even talked about the extra metal ruining or improving the barrel harmonics

ricardo123's steyr is one of the most consistently accurate barrels i've seen... barely puts a pellet outside the hole of the last at 55 with JSB's etc... and it's a completely bare barrel, straight from the factory, no mod's steyr.

wobbly barrels don't matter as long as they wobble consistently