Thread: Webley white writting.

Webley white writting.

Does anyone know what year webley changed the writting on the fore end of the hurricane.

From
    HURRICANE on the side and WEBLEY & SCOTT LTD BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND on the underside (slightly etched into the fore end).

To
    WEBLEY HURRICANE on the side and WEBLEY & SCOTT LTD MADE IN ENGLAND and two F symbols on the underside (slightly raised on the fore end).

I have a few of theese pistols and i would like a rough idea of there age.

Many thanks
    Chip
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Hurricane markings changeover

Mike95

Hurricane lettering

According to Gordon Bruce (Webley Air Pistols), this change came in on 23rd March 1981, but there would probably still be large stocks of the older type.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Hurricane markings

Interesting, my info comes from the Blue Book. Hiller mentions an AGW article on stripping the Hurricane date Jan 1983. If anyone has a copy of the article it might indicate the date of change. There are also frame casting marks under the RH grip but I have no info on how this would help with the date.
    Blue Book also mentions change in length of barrel housing...first variant 2.75 inches, second variant 2.187 inches.

Mike95

Hurricane markings

I've looked through my old Webley catalogues and the first picture with the new markings is from the March 1984 edition. There could be earlier editions I don't have, so I am inclined to accept Bruce's dates. If you look at the "Blue Book" for the Tempest, it states that the lettering changed in 1981, so I would have thought that the Hurricane would also be changed at this time.
    This should make guns with the old lettering incredibly valuable. (I've got three of them).

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Webley lettering

What you say ref the Tempest makes sense...as for valuable, I have just sold mine to chip who started this thread! The gun is older than I thought.

Mike95