Thread: understanding drift and probability

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ok so let me start with the first part. Mils, mil dots milliradians Mrads, they are the SAME thing mate just different way of writing it, so Chairgun already gives you this info under the Mildot column. i'm not an artillery gunner no but mils are easy to work with and using a mildot reticle makes sense to use a mildot Turret.
    displacement is measured in anything you want,
    MOA easier to work in Inches and Mrad to work with cm and meters. many europeans army guys use Mils to measure displacement since they use metric and the US ever since they adopted the S&B scope they use Mrads too.

about BC, now i don't really base everything on BC, all my data was shot in the field, measured error for Elevation, inputed this in chairgun till the numbers onchairgun came close to my real world conditions and i managed this through out. i played with the BC abit later after inputting conditions etc.

there are variances in pellets like there are in bullets but don't worry so much about it, after you test your pellets for drop consistancy don't worry too much about wind. there is really not much difference in wind even when changing the velocity by 20-30ft/s. that is :
    if you measure the drift of a pellet at 924ft/s muzzle velocity at 100m and 944ft/s it is not incredibly different for our purposes. remember that any wind call you do is always dependant on the grouping capabilities of your rifle so if your average group at distance X is 2" then your best wind call will be withing 2" of your point of aim.
    the difference arises in Elevation mainly so once your real world data is like that shown on airgun you can print out a wind drift chart for a 10mile.hour wind. this however is correlated to Yards not to meters as Distance so in my case i had to convert the values to meters since i wanted to use this as a gauge for measurement.

i know the limitations of my setup and with regard to gauging the wind, it will ALWAYS be a guess, but rather than a guestimation in can be a very well informed windcall, so well that i might only have to compensate 0.4mils at 120m, better than the majority that will hit 3feet away or not even pick up the hit because itwas outside their Field of view. my stringing at 120m is between 2-3" for vertical elevation. if you look at the groups i have posted on other threades you will see that most of the time the difference arises in the VERTICAL component not in the horizontal one dependant on wind.

you have to shoot like this everytime you shoot to be able to pick up a feel for the wind by looking through a spotting scope or rifle scope, you should be looking at the grass between you and target or debree, or in the case of home, mirage was always very heavy. Chairgun if used correctly with real world Data can be really accurate but that data has to be gathered at longer ranges not at 50m otherwise you cannot point out the error.

with regard to the pole mate, there are 80m conditions are there are 40m conditions. if wind is 3mph full value constant that is an 80m condition.
    if wind is 3mph switchin to 6 from full value to half value, then that will be a good guess situation that might have you dial a condition and hold off over your dial or hold less than your dial but its not technically speaking at 80m condition. the more you shoot in 7mph winds at 100+ ranges, those closer shots seem relatively easy.
    i wrote more info here on using the wind clock, will only take you about an hour to make one and it allows you to take the info in the field in a layout that is usable without much confusion. More over when explaining to new comers it is not intimidating like a chart full of numbers. it gives you what you need to see only. Remember all values are for a full Value wind(3-9, or 9-3 oclock)
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ght=wind+clock
    btw What about Dr.Mann?
    Last edited by flims; 06-11-2008 at 03:27 PM.