Dave, with the S&B, you don't have to remember to keep it on calibration, its a First Focal plain reticle mate and the reticle 'grows' as you turn the Magnification and thus at any magnification, it is true Mil so no worries.

The Mil system is not unlike any other system in that if the reticle is not on calibration then you are out of business. Even an MOA reticle would need to be on true MOA to provide proper information.

With the old system of Mil reticle and MOA turret, you still had to be on True Mil so that you could convert what you see on reticle to what you dial.

with the Falcon Menace calibrated on 10x i dont usually touch the magnification, i have learnt to shoot on 10x and if i need to have a closer look i just use the spotting scope. You are right Mils were common in directing artiller fire. Optics are moving Towards Mil with the likes of Nightforce adopting Mil/Mil combos and also in FIRST FOCAL PLAIN reticle, i've just seen a post on another forum were someone just played with one.

Dave with regard to the BC issue, again it might be true in theory but in the real world i would rather practice alot of windcalls then play and fiddle with the BC's especially when the field results im getting are not suffering from such consequences. if i can keep groups under 3" at 120m with an air rifle im happy.
ATB