Thread: Aspiring to BP revolvers.

Aspiring to BP revolvers.

I quite fancy adding BP revolver to my ticket but before putting in the various paperwork etc I am trying to work out in my mind the options open to me regarding the type of gun and the powder i will use.

From chatting to one or two of the old boys at the club who shoot BP pistol and reading a few threads on here cleaning the gun seems to be a real headache particularly if you are lazy like me.

1. Am I correct in thinking that a stainless steel revolver would make this task easier?
    2. Are some propellant powders less of a hassle in this respect?
    Thanks

Simon
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

black powder

Hi Simon
    I have tried all forms of shooting since the pistol ban black powder was one of them .
    I had a Remington copy in stainless steel ,stainless is better as when you clean it with hot water it wont rust cleaning is not hard just important .

I used to just wash it in very hot water and fary liquid in the sink with a good bronze brush .Some times I used to strip it and put it in the dishwasher (when her indoors was not hear ).

With ref to black powder this is all I used to use, there was very little too chose from from Swiss to Henry Kranks (it might be different for a single shot target model ) I never tried pyrodox although a friend used to use it in a .50 cal rifle and fouling was much the same

Deershooter

Thumbs up black powder

hi Simon, myself and a lot of other club members use Triple 777, its a doddle to clean, cheers Tezz

Stainless is much better but costs more.

As for powder triple 7 (777) is by far the cleanest. True BP is cleaner than Pyrodex but there is extra paperwork for it which puts a lot of shooters off. I get my 777 through the post with no special box needed for storage, less hassle that way.

Some clubs insist on BP in competitions especially MLAGB linked ones. They insist on traditionalist shooting and frown on Ruger Old Armies or modern sights.

My own view is the more people we have and can get shooting the better for our pastime. So I like 777 in my old hog leg and dont like restrictions to put people off.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

You'll be done for the "ornery" post-session cleanup in about 10 minutes. Once in a while, I would take the gun to pieces since the filler I use (polenta - ground maize) eventually works its way everywhere.

Pyro is fine - but very very corrosive, you MUST absolutely clean the gun as soon as you get home, else it will be brown by the morrow...

SS a bit easier but you still need to clean and IMHO blue is more in the spirit of the original.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I use Pyrodex in my .44 Colt Walker (unfortunatly a repro!) I clean it out in hot water and faery liquid, on the garage (kitchen sink if she's not around!)

Takes 20 minutes and as long as you rinse, dry and oil everyting properly you'll have no problems!!

Pyro does clag everything up quickly though, I only get 6 loads or so before I can hardly turn the cylinder.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Whatever you do......

DON'T spray it down with WD40 to get rid of the water and then put it in the oven to dry.

It'll stink the place out and I'm still being made to sleep on the settee as a result.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

B P

Hi Simon. You will get loads of advice from loads of different people on shooting black powder. Nearly all of it sound advice from people with years of experience. Yes, cleaning is a chore but in reallity it takes 10 mins and most of that is waiting while the hot soapy water dissolves the crud. Compare that against removing the primers, cleaning the cases, fitting fresh primers, loading the powder and seating the bullet head to shoot a long barrel revolver
    and i know which takes me longer!
    After 8 years "ish" of shooting the black stuff in pistols, revolvers and rifles my advice would be. First go to a club where they shoot the type of gun you want to shoot and Join. Once you get to know folks they will only be too pleased to pass on their experience, you may even get a go with different types of gun. You need to know what gun fits your hand and feels comfortable, its no good buying something that your not happy with the way it feels in the hand or shoots just because it looks shiney.
    Most of the shooters at our club shoot a .44 calibre of one sort or another but there are other sizes such as .36. Only you can decide but .44 seams to be the accepted calibre at our club. Common calibre balls are easier to get hold off than odd size ones and casting your own is FAR cheaper than buying em.
    Yes, a stainless pistol cleans easier than a black one but if it costs twice as much to buy and isnt comfortable to shoot is it worth a couple of minutes extra in the hot water?
    Once you have decided on your gun of choice and got it then you can look at different lubes, powders ect. Every gun is different and you will have to experiment to find what YOUR gun likes to use. You cant do that untill youve got it. As far as powder goes I dont know anyone who has a black powder permit who shoots anything but black powder. Yes im sure other stuff works just as well but guys who have used pyrodex at our club always seem to go back to bp. The permits are free from the health and safety bods and i made my own box for about £15 so dont let storage put you off.
    As with everything in life you pays your money and takes your choice. The main thing is to ENJOY YOUR SHOOTING. While we can.

When I started shooting BP revolvers post 97 I initially used Pyrodex. Then all the experts told me I would get better groups with Black Powder. And I did! I'm not sure whether it was because blackpowder has a softer ignition or whether it was a case of most people starting with Pyrodex and by the time they moved onto Black powder they were more experienced with the gun. I haven't tried Triple 7 but friends swear by it. I use Swiss black powder but Pete Starley does some nice German stuff too.