Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Rogers & Spencer?

Which Rogers & Spencer?

I'm interested in getting a Rogers & Spencer .44 bp revolver. A quick google reveals that quite a few makes are available:

pedersoli
    hege
    fwb
    euroarms
    pietta

any advice on which is good/bad/expensive/cheap/reliable/made-of-chocolate, etc?

regards
    Nigel

I've used one of our club member's R&S .44 in stainless, by Euroarmrs and it's a fine pistol, well made, comfortable in the hand and very accurate, even with someone like me shooting it
    Can't comment on the other makes, as I have no experience with them, but after using the Euroarms R&S, I can't see any reason to spend more, on the likes of Pedersoli etc, or less with the Pietta model.

Hope this helps

ATB
    Baz

Rogers and Spencer

My .44 Rogers is the Euro arms version in london grey and its been a great revolver. Iv had it about seven years and the only thing iv done is to change the fastener that holds the cylinder pin in place. Its far more accurate than me, easy to load and clean and feels "right" in the hand. Some will prefer the target model with its adjustable sights but i cant see any use for them given these guns are shot at 25 yds and mine shoots to point of aim with std sites.
    I also prefer the sight picture on my model as theres no rear site to obstruct your view of the target.
    If money was no object then i would probably go for the Hege but it is so i payed £300 new for mine instead of at least double for a Hege. Dont know about other makes but havent heard any horror stories about any one make so i suppose You pays your money and takes your choice!!

If you can afford it, the Pedersoli version. Absolutely gorgeous! Not only fit and finish, but it's what they use to set world records with........ 'nuff said!

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Pietta

I use a Pietta Remington 1858 .44 in stainless.

Health warning using these guns can seriously damage your mouth as your grin will go from ear to ear.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Oh deep joy,

Went and did my regular tuesday shoot last night and shot 2 cards with my Euroarms R&S. 2 nice groups of 2 and a half inches, one score of 52/60, dead chuffed.

I'm getting old and my eyesight ain't too hot, I normally only manage 3" groups with my underlever 357mag over open sights. So I guess I have cracked it with my loading of my m/l revolver.

The real clincher is to get the ball seated to just a hairs breadth below the face of the cylinder, accuracy improved a heck of a lot.

My load, 17gr by weight 777 powder, 38spl case of tescos' cous-cous, home cast balls lubed with Alox, CCI caps.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I use a Pietta Remington 1858 .44 in stainless.

Health warning using these guns can seriously damage your mouth as your grin will go from ear to ear.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Oh deep joy,

Went and did my regular tuesday shoot last night and shot 2 cards with my Euroarms R&S. 2 nice groups of 2 and a half inches, one score of 52/60, dead chuffed.

I'm getting old and my eyesight ain't too hot, I normally only manage 3" groups with my underlever 357mag over open sights. So I guess I have cracked it with my loading of my m/l revolver.

The real clincher is to get the ball seated to just a hairs breadth below the face of the cylinder, accuracy improved a heck of a lot.

My load, 17gr by weight 777 powder, 38spl case of tescos' cous-cous, home cast balls lubed with Alox, CCI caps.
    Congratulations on your cards, Smokeless!

Some great practical info there.

Cheers,

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I used to have the Euroarms Lothar Walther model in blued steel. The so called stainless ones are actually hard plated with a process smilar to the Nikasil used on motorcycle cylinders. Mine was very accurate with a good trigger but it was showing some signs of wear after a few years. Also it had a distressing habit of screws dropping out at inconvenient moments, invariably when I was shooting Historic Revolver. This was cured by judicious use of Loctite. Most of the Rogers and Spencers are all made in the same factory in Italy. This includes the Feinwerkbau version as well as Euroarms and others. I preferred it to the Remington NMA because it was much easier to cap the cylinders.

The Stainless models are Stainless Steel, but there are Nickle plated models also, I've used both now and they look completely different, the plated one is like chrome, where the Stainless one, has a dull finish, hope that's cleared that one up.

Yes I admit it I was wrong, but at least I'm big enought to say that I was wrong. But you must admit, when together with a Stainless model of another gun the colour difference is negligable and when you have the owner and previous owner swear blind that it is Stainless, what are you supposed to believe, so I admit I was wrong, but it wasn't my fault

ATB
    Baz
    Last edited by LONG REACH; 24-11-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG REACH View Post
    The Stainless models are Stainless Steel, but there are Nickle plated models also, I've used both now and they look completely different, the plated one is like chrome, where the Stainless one, has a dull finish, hope that's cleared that one up.

ATB
    Baz
    The plated ones actually have a dull finish called London Grey. Are you thinking of the Remington models? I've never seen a Stainless R&S.

Euroarms, I believe have made all four models, the blued, stainless, nickle plated and london finish versions. John,one of our club members has a very nice stainless steel model with target sights (which has the script stainless steel stamped into it) this has a dull to shiney finish, the nickle version (very shiney,as chrome) has no stampings to say what it's made of as is the same with the blued model. I was actually having a good look at a nickle R&S (which was made by Chapparal) at the Great Malvern Arms fair, last Sunday.
    I know the finish you call London Grey and that is different again, as in a horrible dull finish and if you have never seen a stainless R&S how can you say that they don't exist ?. I think there will be quite a few members on here who will disagree with you And yes I do know the difference between a Rogers & Spencer and a Remington 1858 NMA. I've been using a stainless Remi 1858 NMA, for the past 4 months, along with a Remi 1858 Buffalo, which is blued with a brass frame.

ATB
    Baz

I didn't say they don't exist. I just said I've never seen one. Interestingly neither have Henry Kranks. This doesn't mean there isn't one. Just that they can't be very common. Post a picture for us all to see. Actually I would quite like a stainless version if as well made as my blued steel one. Might be tempted.
    Last edited by Napoleon IV; 20-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Further to R & S revolvers I can find no company that manufactures a stainless steel Rogers and Spencer. I've checked the major companies in the US, namely Dixie Gunworks, Navy Arms and Euroarms of America. None of them list a stainless model. Looking through the last 10 years of Gun Digest doesn't reveal one. Euroarms Italia, Feinwerkbau and Pedersoli don't make one and Chapparal Arms don't sell or make any muzzle loading revolvers at all. London Grey isn't a horrible dull finish its a satin finish that resembles....Stainless steel! But the guns aren't stainless and will corrode if not properly maintained. As stated before it's a hard electroplated finish similar to Nikasil. Underneath it's steel. Dixie Gunworks are listed in Gun Digest as selling a nickle plated R&S but it doesn't appear on their website and isn't available in Britain. I appears that your only choice over here is either London Grey(that looks like stainless) or Blued. Either way you will have a nice revolver that can be used in either MLAGB events or for general club competitions.

stainless r +s

My euroarms rogers is london grey and yes it does look like stainless. After about 8 years of use the finish is still superb. One or two minor blemishes that would polish out if i really wanted them to but nothing to be concearned about. Just remove the wood and soak the gun in hot soapy water for 10 mins after use. Dry, lube and refit wood. Job done.
    Was going to add a piccy but posting rules says "you MAY NOT post attachments". !!
    Last edited by tim56; 21-11-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: additional