Thread: Diana model 38 Where did they all go ?

I've got one of these in .177 in nice condition. They are very well made rifles and great to shoot. Not much info around on them though.

there isn't that much difference between them and a HW80.

Diana 38

Well you wont get one from Ruag Ammotec (the importers)anymore cos I bought the last one they had about 3 weeks ago

I have replied to a similar topic over on the AGF recently. From memory (cant 100% put dates to this) but the '38 was introduced here as a replacement to the '45 which was being withdrawn. I am not sure if they were ever sold alongside one another.

I seem also to recall Diana bringing out a range of rifles they branded "Firebirds"- this is way before BSA got hold of the brand name- early 90's I think. I lusted after a '38 for ages and one came up here for sale not that far from where I live. Its the only bad deal I have ever had on here as the compression tube was badly scored and it will never make full compression.

The new one I have got has a manufacture date stamp on it of late 03- so that tells you how many have been sold of late? I have only fired a couple of clearing shots into the back garden and so I may scope it up on the weekend and give it a whirl. Its a bit twangy right now- but since it was lubed back then and not fired since I am not really suprised. Its certainly got the basics right and with a nice tune up I have no doubt it will be sweet to shoot. Not that heavy either. Pity Diana never stretched to fitting a cast ally trigger blade though? Plastic is a bit of a let down- but I guess its strong enough.

I did a similar thread on here a good while back and I think I only had 2 responses from other owners- so I do wonder where all the '38s went? As I said on the AGF, I have a hunch that some of Diana rifles are more popular in some countries than others- so maybe the '38 sold better elsewhere? From looking at a couple of the American forums, the '34 seems popular over there. I cant really see that many differences between them really and often wonder what was the logic behind the numbering of each model? Does anyone know? Is it the higher the number- the greater the power potential or is it how Diana see each rifle rank in order of prestige- with the '54 being "top of the tree"?

In my quest to track a '38 down- I found a shop with 2 others- so if there is anyone out there desperate for this soon to become (if it isnt already) rare rifle- give me a pm.

They are a bit pricey nowadays for what is a fairly plain rifle- but I still like them all the same.

Cheers,
    Dave

diana 38

ive got one in bits now 38.ive just finished a diana 45 and theres nothing to tell em apart. ive also a 34 firebird and thats the same apart from the stock.and open sights.the original 45 ive got as a lot shorter stroke than the diana models.im going to strip the original 45 and check the pistons against each other.if any one else as the two to check the strokes like to know if the original 45 was short stroked for our limit.thanks coddy fantastic guns them there diana,s

Quote Originally Posted by coddy View Post
    ive got one in bits now 38.ive just finished a diana 45 and theres nothing to tell em apart. ive also a 34 firebird and thats the same apart from the stock.and open sights.the original 45 ive got as a lot shorter stroke than the diana models.im going to strip the original 45 and check the pistons against each other.if any one else as the two to check the strokes like to know if the original 45 was short stroked for our limit.thanks coddy fantastic guns them there diana,s
    Hiya Coddy.
    The compression tube on the '45 is quite a bit shorter than the '38 but doesnt suffer in the power stakes in spite of this.

I've had my old '38 and both my '45s apart some time ago. The '45 has a leather washer as std- which I've changed for ptfe on both of mine. The '38 has a synthetic washer. Aside of this I think both pistons are similar. Since I've now got a digital camera and unlimited storage I should take pics more often when these guns are in bits
    From memory as well, the unusual thing about the '45 is that it has an agled transfer port rising from the centre of the compression tube to align with the barrel. I am not that sure the '38 has this feature (cannot recall- I have quite a few rifles).
    Both rifles are good performers from the Diana stables.

Dave

I was the one that started the 38 thread over on airgunforum.

I bought my .22 38 in 1991 - until a couple of weeks ago it had been sat in my mums loft for about 15 years.

After having put it on a chrono with the old spring I was pretty disappointed with the results - depending on the pellets, between 7.6-9lb.

I've now given it some tlc - its been stripped, relubed, some parts have been polished, its got a nylon washer on the the stock spring guide & a new export spring. The export spring sent the power way too high - but I've now trimmed back the spring by a coil or so & its given out a consistent 11.5-11.7lb & the accuracy is superb.

I still have a little bit of a spring twang to deal with - but I'll let the spring settle a little more before doing anything else to it.

Its now back to its former glory, and I think (despite the years in between) that its shooting much better now than it did when new.

Just to confirm - the 38 has an angled transfer port as well.

model 38

I could not understand why the model 38 was not more popular.
    My .177 Original 45 was the most accurate spring powered (break barrel)rifle that i have owned and seemed to have the edge on my FWB124 at longer ranges.
    The 45 was not a good looking rifle which possibly affected the sales, but the 38 was a more attractive and stylish replacement and if the barrel was choked and as good as the 45's, then it would have been a match for the FWB 124 and more accurate than the HW80 in .177. I guess that Record trigger of the HW helped sell the 80 (plus its legendary power)
    I owned a couple of HW80's and FWB's but I regret that I never bought a Diana 38.
    hold me back !!

I have a .177 Diana 38, it has been tuned by Sandwell Field Sports and is as smooth as a very smooth thing, and very accurate.

The trigger IMO is not as good as a Record unit, but it's lighter than an 80 and easier to carry around.

Very hard to find, so I guess not too many were built.

Large air cylinder so no problems with making full power either.

I do rather like Dianas and Originals have Models 16, 23, G23, 25 x 2, 27, G34, G44, 35 x 2 (.177, .22). 38, 48, 50 x 4 (2 x .177, 2 x .22), 52 x 2 (Ken Turner,.177 and tuned .22), 54, G 70/71, G79 x 2 and G80 x 2.

Although I did sell all the pistols, Model 2, 4, 5, 6 ,10 and a pre-war tin plate jobbie.

My first air rifle was a .177 Diana 23 in 1967 which I still have , and my first new air rifle was a .22 Diana G79 Deluxe, which I still have.

Ben
    Last edited by master_shriller; 16-11-2008 at 08:16 PM.
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com