Thread: Advice needed; airsporter spring + age

Advice needed; airsporter spring + age

Hi Folks!
    I'm hoping I might be able to pick someones brains.....

I have just picked up one of the guns of my teenage dreams; a BSA Airsporter Stutzen
    Its shooting fine, but having chrono'd it its pretty low; averaging about 320fps. I suspect it simply needs a good overhaul and a new spring, but I'm not familiar with Airsporters and so don't know if there is a specific spring for the various models. This is a .22 calibre one with the serial number GR00306. I've tried googling 'BSA Serial numbers' but haven't managed to find any online details for dating the rifles; just the motorcycles. (As an aside I do have a nice 1954 M33... but I digress!)

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me roughly how old my new beastie is and if they have any recommendations for springs.
    Thanks!!
    Anne

Chambers

Some info at Chambers.

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...2&cat=Stutzen#

ATB Graham
    Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

hi your stutzen date of production is 1985-1986 hope this helps
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

Thanks Stuart & Graham!

The Chambers link was a great help, using the exploded diagram it's now dissassembled and we can see what bits are needed. The spring is definately looking tired and a couple of the pins are iffy too. Looks like the piston is from a Mk V too interestingly...
    Does anyone know what the stock options on these were? This one definately doesn't look like beech; its nearer a walnut or tight grained dark oak with a rather nice rosewood tip to the fore end. Can't wait to get it back together and put the Hawke SR6 on it now!!

Bonnie & Clyde on here will supply a full set of springs guides, seals etc with greases to suit.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357