Thread: 2 webley pistols help please

2 webley pistols help please

I have two pistols that I would like help to date and value. I think they are the straight grip type and are both .177.

1 has ribbed tin-plate grips and is marked "Webley&Scott Birmingham" on the RHS. On the LHS "The Webley Junior 177" PAT. No GB 219372 S/N J24256 and what I think is a batch No 256 at the end.

2 has wooden grips with a bronze winged pellet and marked "Webley Air Pistol Mark 1 Birmingham & London" S/N 15231. On the RHS British Patent 219873. This one has safety and trigger adj.

I would say they are in average condition although with my old eyes the barrels seem to slightly bend up.

I am not a great fan of pistols and would like to swop them depending on there value.

Thank you in advance.

The junior is around 1931, as after that date the plastic / bakalite grips took over. I have one of these in mint condition.
    Value is dependant on condition, I would say at least £100 and possibly £200.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    The junior is around 1931, as after that date the plastic / bakalite grips took over. I have one of these in mint condition.
    Value is dependant on condition, I would say at least £100 and possibly £200.

Mike
    Thank you Mike.
    Can I take it that the Junior is older than the MK1 ? If so any idea by how much.

According to Mr Hiller, your Mk1 is dated between 1925 and 1938. I am unsure of it's value as this is dependant again on condition.
    The most probable reason for the bent barrels is it has been fired after the gun has been cocked but prior to the barrel being returned to it's correct position. (this is common on Webleys)

mike

So I might be in with a chance of a swop All I need now is somebody with spare barrels for a MK2 Service rifle

Hi Peter,

You have an email.

Regards

Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by CRX View Post
    Hi Peter,

You have an email.

Regards

Robin.
    Replied to Matey

Anybody like to hazard a guess as to the value of the MK1

Anybody

Webley Mk1

Using Serial Numbers and production figures I would date the Junior at 1935 and the Mk1 at 1929. Without seeing the guns, a ball-park valuation of £100 to £120 each seems about right.

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Using Serial Numbers and production figures I would date the Junior at 1935 and the Mk1 at 1929. Without seeing the guns, a ball-park valuation of £100 to £120 each seems about right.

Ian
    Many Thanks Ian.

Hi Binners,
    bit of a flyer this, but without much detail available as to exact condition, the Mark 1 sounds like a third series, which if in 'fair' condition with nothing wrong with it, could be anything from apprx. £80 - 120.
    The problem is if the barrel is bent. This will knock back the value considerably,
    perhaps as low as £60?
    They can be great fun trying to shoot with!!, but are notoriously difficult to straighten and I have one like this due for a fix soon. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else managed to get these straight?

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post

Ian
    I have pictures but can't post them in this section, So if you would like some I will foward them. As far as the barrels go, I am lead to believe they are easy to straighten if in .177 cal.

Webley pistols

Having seen the emailed photos, I still consider them to be worth at least £100 each, possibly more to a collector. I can't tell if the barrels are actually bent. Some pictures I have taken make straight barrels look like bananas. If the barrels are slightly bent, they are normally easy to remove. You can then clamp the section containing the link and use a metal tube over the breech end to straighten them.

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Thanks for that.
    I have used a small press successfully on small diameter tubing and will probably stick with this even though it's perhaps a little ott. This way a bit more control is available, but from experience, I know that minor miracles can be achieved even by the application of a lump hammer!