Rutty,

Concur with your comments, but my original post was trying to point out that unless you take the costs of NRA affiliation and Home Office registration into account you cannot readily compare your particular club fees to anothers.

Alan,

Re. not registering a club with ther Home Office.

I do not beleive a member would be able to quote a club as a 'good reason' for applying for a FAC unless it is a registered club -unless I've missed something. If this was the case then anyone could say they were a 'club' and obtain FAC's on the strength of it?

Agreed, HO registry is not necessary if your members have FAC's independant of club membership.

Liability insurance is a requirement of using MOD ranges and to ensure all our members are covered we use the NRA route.

Regardless of what you use on a MOD range you have to have a SSC and probationary members (post July 1st last year) must complete an approved probationary members course - you Club Secretary has signed papers saying he will ensure it happens and he will record progress etc. along with a lot of other items. Again if you never want to shoot on a MOD range this does not apply.

As much as I hate the current state of affiars we enforce the SSR on all our members even if they only shoot on the non -MOD range we use for the simple reason if there is a serious accident then how do 'we' (club officials that is) defend that fact that we run training for and 'check' on some new members but not bother with the others.

Brgds Terry