Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post
Thanks to all the wonderful advice you BBS members gave me, this post has become a pretty informative thread for any new and confused target shooter wanting to buy a cheap competition air pistol....I've noted some of you point other newbies at it already......

So I thought I'd add a ps.

I actually went to play with an HW40 this afternoon. (Thanks to a very lovely UBC member - who I won't name in case he doesn't want 16000 BBS members calling!)

The HW40 is a fab little air pistol, and cheap as chips really. I WANT one , and aim to get one in a month or 2 - for garden plinking and 6M UBC comps. With practice, using the 'Cookie method' so I'm told (finger and thumb to push the top down) wasn't too difficult.

BUT buying a secondhand CO2 match pistol - was definately the spot-on choice for 10M target, for those that can't afford a PCP. I love my Tau 7! I've put about 1500 pellets through it in 2 months, so I'm getting to know it well. Accuracy is brilliant in the right hands (not mine yet!).

Also shot a BRNO Aeron B96 this pm, an equally fine CO2 match pistol, takes 5 pellet mags, so may be more fiddly for single-shot comps. The Alfa Proj also comes highly recommended, see details earlier in the thread.

Hope that helps another newbie!
Glad you got a nice Co2 pistol and you can always stir a good curry with a wooden spoon,
having heard you fancy a HW40 I thought I'd let you know that I dropped a Tasco Rhino 2x32 pistol scope on mine using rifle 2 screw mounts to spread the load and set it as far back in the grooves as I could,
this made a really well balanced combo as the weight is over the butt, the advantage also is that you can press down on the rear scope mount to close the pistol making it very easy, some 4.51mm domed pellets and your a sniper,

Happy Shooting Linnet.