Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW40, Gamo compact, IZH46M or Rohm twinmaster Top?

HW40, Gamo compact, IZH46M or Rohm twinmaster Top?

Hi Guys

I've started shooting 10m at my local club, but as a wee girlie am finding the club's side-loading FWBs very tiring to load. Its not so much the strength needed to pull the lever back with my left-hand, as it is the holding of the pistol, whilst I do this with my righthand, which I shoot with, making the following shot more difficult. Consequently I'd love to buy something for myself, but budget is an issue, so unless anyone has a secondhand Steyr they'd like to sell me for £360 , please read on......apologies if its a bit long winded!!

Part of me thinks I should go cheap such as the HW40 or Gamo compact and then save more quickly for a secondhand Steyr. Anyone know if their levers are hard to charge? Are they 10m competition legal (club standards)??

part of me thinks I should spend a bit more for something that might keep me happy for 2 or 3 years and having taken the time to read through all the posts I can find on the site, and other similar sites, and see that most people recommend the IZH46M as one of the best single shot pneumatics. IZH46M specificatiosn say it has one of the easier levers to load. Does any one have an opinion on whether I will still have a problem? (Having no comparison I don't know if the FWB is particularly difficult or whether they all are??? All my club shooters with their own weapons have top of the range PCPs).

BUT an IZH will cost £360 (York Guns unless I can find cheaper) then would I be better off with bottom-priced PCP such as a Rohm Twinmaster Top (PCP)for the same sort of price? Obviously the PCP would be superior from a loading point of view but would it shoot as well? Is that competition standard (as only the more expensive Sport model is advertised as such).

arrggggggggg help pleeeaseeee

Additionally if anyone has any of the afore mentioned for sale, let me know!

thank you so much for your time
    Yours very confused
    Linnet

Hi Linnet and welcome to the BBS.

You are having the same problem most of us had when we started, and are still having if we were honest.

at the end of the day it always seems to come down to money.

I would say Buy a HW40 or Compact from here (under £100) and save until something better comes along, I have been using a HW40 for over a year and it can still shoot at a higher standard than me. (still waiting for an Steyr LP50 to come up at the right price)

Though if you have the funds and it sounds like you alraeady have a taste for 10m pistol, go for the IZH46M or even something like the Alfa Proj Co2 Sport which is around the same money.

Hope this helps a Little.

atvb

Jason

PS If you want some extra practise why not join the UBC and enter our competitions.

www.umarexboysclub.co.uk or Click here for BBS link

Last edited by cookie; 10-11-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

HW40 or IZH46M - which is easiest to load?

Hi Jason
    Thanks for your response - very speedy too.

How difficult is the HW40 to load - strength wise??? (re my probs with the FWB).

Read your review of the HW40 on the UBC, and emailed you to join. Many thanks!

Have you tried the IZH46? If so, again any opinion on the strength required to load it, compared to the HW40???

thank you in anticipation!

Linnet

Gamo Compact

Hi I have a mint compact for sale on here which I used to get into 10M target and it has served me very well only want to sell it to upgrade, much easier to cock than a side lever as it lifts up as light as a feather and is only under pressure right at the point of closing,but because you are pushing down its much more stable than a side lever and if your stood at a bench its very easy as you just put the bottom of the grip on the bench as it is flat on the bottom. I also have a HW40 this is just as good as regards shooting but the grip is not great as it is very smooth and as your hands sweat it gets slippery unlike the proper stippled walnut grip on the compact, also in my club there is always a bit of controversy over the GLO fibre optic sights as regards competitions.
    Hope this helps
    Chris

The Gamo compact always gets very good press on here, and will resell well too.
    Could be a viable stop gap to get you going before you make a big investment.
    If you find you need to sell a high end pistol in the up coming hard times you may have to take a loss on it. Worth a thought?

stagmanv835 is offline i tend to drink while on the bbs
    Dont think you can go wrong with the gamo compact in my opinion

cheap verywell b uilt supurb accuracy

then save for a nice expensive one

have just spent an hour relaxing with my compact i recenlty bought from a forum member and it is great
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    Hi I have a mint compact for sale on here which I used to get into 10M target and it has served me very well only want to sell it to upgrade, much easier to cock than a side lever as it lifts up as light as a feather and is only under pressure right at the point of closing,but because you are pushing down its much more stable than a side lever and if your stood at a bench its very easy as you just put the bottom of the grip on the bench as it is flat on the bottom. I also have a HW40 this is just as good as regards shooting but the grip is not great as it is very smooth and as your hands sweat it gets slippery unlike the proper stippled walnut grip on the compact, also in my club there is always a bit of controversy over the GLO fibre optic sights as regards competitions.
    Hope this helps
    Chris
    I would love to get a compact but my priorities now is a new laptop

I think the compact is as easy to cock as the HW40. I have a 40 and wont sell it for the world
    My HW40 is that old, it does'nt have TruGlow sights either.

I like em but happy to shoot without em

Pricewise?? Go for the HW40

Tony

PS welcome to the club
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post
    Hi Jason
    Thanks for your response - very speedy too.

How difficult is the HW40 to load - strength wise??? (re my probs with the FWB).

Read your review of the HW40 on the UBC, and emailed you to join. Many thanks!

Have you tried the IZH46? If so, again any opinion on the strength required to load it, compared to the HW40???

thank you in anticipation!

Linnet
    Hi again Linnet, the IHZ46m is easier to cock and load, but it is a lot more expensive than the HW40, I wouldn't sell either of my HW40's they are that good, but I would love an IZZY if one came along at the right price. if you have the funds go for the IZZY it's a true target pistol, that will last you years until that much sort after Steyr finds it's way into your collection, at which time you will still probably get a good price for your IZZY.

And welcome to the UBC madhouse i'll update the members list in a bit.

atvb

Jason
    Last edited by cookie; 10-11-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the

Welcome Linnet.....
    If you're ever up the A140 Diss way, drop in for a coffee and try my pistols...you'll see the selection in my signature....mind you...it's always changing...
    Was down in Felixtowe half-term with my daughter and grandson...dragged them along the front for an hour or so to get them away from the playstation...ended up in the amusements on the pier though....lol!!!
    Eric.

Hi, I have an Izzy. It is very easy to cock and load and a fantastic pistol to shoot. I got it from York as well. A few years ago it was the pistol of choice before the pcp revolution with many top shooters using it. It is still very good and in the right hands will shoot 570+.

Are you in the North cos if you would like to try mine on a range you can. It might even be for sale as I am going down the FT route. Less than 3 months old, shot about 1500 pellets, as new condition. PM me if you would like to try it, I am in east yorkshire.

DC

Thanks

Thanks for your welcome and opinions guys.

Thanks for the invite Eric, might have to take you up on that!

Linnet

ps More opinion still welcomed! No one has commented on the Rohm twinmaster range yet - any thoughts?

Anyone know if the 'tru-glo' sights on the HW40 can be made club-friendly or replaced? (Am I being a pain now?)

Gamo v HW40

I know the Compact has the better grips, but just bought a HW40 and decided on it after trying both it and a Gamo PR45 (Compact action with std grip). The HW is better made an in my opinion a far nicer pistol to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post
    Thanks for your welcome and opinions guys.

Thanks for the invite Eric, might have to take you up on that!

Linnet

ps More opinion still welcomed! No one has commented on the Rohm twinmaster range yet - any thoughts?

Anyone know if the 'tru-glo' sights on the HW40 can be made club-friendly or replaced? (Am I being a pain now?)
    Hi Lynne, Never really liked the Rohm's lot's of plastic, it seems to try too hard to be something it isn't. IMO

As for the TRU-GLOW i don't use mine, i use it as standard sights, no problem at all, though in poor lighting it's good to have them.

atvb

Jason

Linnet, if you are a wee girlie, I think you will have trouble cocking an HW or a Compact. Also, the 46 or 46M is a heavy gun and I think, somewhat front heavy, so IMO that would also be a No No for someone of very light (wee girlie) stature.

I would suggest a S/H Aeron, Tau or Alfa in CO2 flavour. They are all light, all accurate to a very high club level (ie. will outshoot most mutts behind butts) and are reasonably priced.

Any of the above are good enough to last a shooting career, if you can resist the temptation of the pleasure of owning a more exotic piece of mechanical engineering perfection.

Don't pay too much attention to the anti CO2 propaganda. It is based on true facts, but would only cause problems in a near or sub zero hunting situation IMO. On an indoor range, I have never had an issue with it.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

errrmmm might be chucking a spanner in the works here...how about a good 2nd hand HW75?